IDE Lockups 9.6.0 on Mac

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Simon Knight

IDE Lockups 9.6.0 on Mac

Post by Simon Knight » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:43 am

Hi,

I am working on a project that contains several sub stacks and from time to time the IDE code editor locks up and/or a save dialog refuses to close. All these issues are hard to replicate making a bug report difficult to write.

I wonder if others have experienced anything similar?

In the case of my project the main stack is a palette stack and I wonder if this status causes the IDE some issues. Also my palette stack opens sub-stacks and then adds new cards. These sub stacks are not palette stacks.

My palette stack closes the sub-stack which I think triggers a "save stack" warning and this may be the root cause of the problems with the code editor. The specific problem is that the editor freezes and clicking on the window close icon prompts the property inspector to open showing details of a control. This fault has the feel of an internal pointer problem but thats above my pay grade! Other parts of the IDE still work and its possible to request that some code is edited and this action unlocks the freeze.

None of the above is repeatable, but seems to occur once every twenty minutes or so.

As a side question is what exactly happens when a sub-stack is closed ? By definition a sub-stack is part of the parent stack file so it is not removed from memory until the parent stack is closed. So I wonder if it may be safer for me to just to hide my sub-stacks thus preventing any save dialogs from being posted.

I am interested in any similar reports or ideas.
best wishes
Skids

mrcoollion

Re: IDE Lockups 9.6.0 on Mac

Post by mrcoollion » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:07 am

I had a similar problem (saving message window does not disappear) last week when I was experimenting with a DataGrid in a further empty stack. Maybe this helps?

I am working with LC 9.6 rc2 on Windows 10.
You are working with what version of LC and on what platform?

Regards,

Paul

Simon Knight

Post by Simon Knight » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:31 am

Thanks Paul,

I will give it a day or so and see what response this thread generates and then decide if its worth while creating a bug report. I need to develop a recipe that at least causes the fault some of the time. At the moment it appears random.

best wishes

Simon
best wishes
Skids

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:24 pm

You could try hiding the mainstack instead of closing it. If that works it might give some leads on the problem.

If the destroystack of the mainstack is true, closing it will close all the substacks too. So the save dialog would be for the substacks probably.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Simon Knight

Post by Simon Knight » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:15 am

Hi Jacque,

Thanks but I am hiding the main stack, its the sub stack that gets closed which I guess really means means hidden. Also most of the time the IDE works as expected. I am failing to identify what causes the freeze but will keep searching. I half wonder if switching between stack modes using the project browser may be a trigger but nothing is certain.
best wishes
Skids

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:03 am

Urgh, this is the sort of strange IDE "thing" that's been largely a Windows problem, although things have generally been improving as versions are released. (Sometimes there are still "things" though.) FWIW the Project Browser is a "usual cilprit" on Windows, and I keep it closed unless I am specifically using it. Apart from anything else, the update rate is a crawl when you have multiple objects selected on screen. But as you say, nothing is certain.

Simon Knight

Post by Simon Knight » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:13 am

I think I am edging slowly towards a bug report : I'm working on a project to create a palette stack for use in the IDE. While working on the stack I am frequently changing its stack mode between top level and palette using the project browser.

Now while a palette stack may be moved it seems that on some occasions switching to palette mode renders some of the other windows open in the IDE into a state where they can not be selected with the mouse.

For example the code editor appears frozen but if a control is selected in the project browser and the option to edit its code taken the code editor jumps back to life .

All unproven and unrepeatable.
best wishes
Skids

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:07 am

This is not a proposed solution, just a diagnostic question:. What happens when you close the Message Box?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Simon Knight

Post by Simon Knight » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:27 am

HI Richard,

The message box is not always open when the feature occurs but I don't think closing it when it is makes much difference. Its quite hard to understand what exactly is happening, for instance sometimes I am unable to select some of the sub stacks while being able to select others. Occasionally the project browser displays just a few lines and needs closing and opening to restore normality.
best wishes
Skids

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:15 pm

Here is a possibility. Have you simply restarted your machine and tried again?

Craig

Simon Knight

Post by Simon Knight » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:25 pm

Craig,

yes ;-)
best wishes
Skids

Return to “Talking LiveCode”