Performance when multitasking

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

tperry2x

Re: Performance when multitasking

Post by tperry2x » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:17 am

So, managed to find an older Macbook Air, running OSX 10.11. This is a generic, fresh 10.11 install.
The tests match mine on my 10.11 desktop.

So, I think the performance lag is specific to OSX 10.11 in Livecode. Not sure what causes it. All other programs are butter-smooth. No high CPU use in other programs, so it's a bit of a mystery.

tperry2x

Post by tperry2x » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:36 pm

For anyone still following this, I solved the issues I was having.
I used lockscreen (thank you bogs - I know what you mean now), and instead of using multiple 'sends' to various buttons, I moved all the scripts inside the card. Previously I was trying to send the handlers to various card objects continuously.

I did a bit of googling about beam sync under OSX. Turning it off on OSX 10.11 has made such a drastic difference. So much so, that there was nothing I could do to slow down the original stack I'd made.

https://www.tsites.co.uk/downloads/live ... ing-v2.zip

So, I thought what can I do to actually slow this down?
Here's version 2 of the stack and it still doesn't get too choppy with all the effects on.

Hope it's helpful to someone for testing purposes.

But yeah, beam sync was the biggest difference. My whole OS feels quicker.

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:39 pm

tperry2x wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:36 pm
I used lockscreen (thank you bogs - I know what you mean now)
Tee hee :wink:

For what it is worth, Jacque was the first one to really drill that into me, so don't feel all alone out there.

Return to “Talking LiveCode”