Cannot add stack in Standalone Application settings

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

kaveh1000
Livecode Opensource Backer

Cannot add stack in Standalone Application settings

Post by kaveh1000 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:42 pm

I am using LC 9.0.5rc1 on Mac. I am trying to add a stack that I have added before (Thierry's sunnYrex) to include in a Standalone. It allows me to open the stack as if it is adding but then it is not added in the list. And when I make the standalone it does not work.

I have deleted the preferences but still no joy. I tried adding file instead. It allows that, but as expected the functionality of the stack is not see in the standalone.

Any ideas please?

Kaveh
Kaveh

Thierry
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Cannot add stack in Standalone Application settings

Post by Thierry » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:48 am

I am using LC 9.0.5rc1 on Mac.
I am trying to add a stack that I have added before to include in a Standalone.
Any ideas please?
Hi Kaveh,

I'm sorry I have no ideas, but please, understand that sunnYrex is just a stack,
a small stack with some scripts which does nothing
except when you call one function from it's API.

So your problem is not related to this specific stack.

I've already told you in private to experiment building an app with a simple stack,
so to make it works and help to understand how to set up correctly a standalone.

And lastly, as you know from our contract,
the support for my stack doesn't include LiveCode support.
And also that I don't give any kind of support for those
working with release candidates;
choose a stable version of LC.

Sorry again that I can't be more helpful.

Kind regards,

Thierry
!
SUNNY-TDZ.COM doesn't belong to me since 2021.
To contact me, use the Private messages. Merci.
!

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:29 am

kaveh1000 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:42 pm
I am using LC 9.0.5rc1 on Mac.
I'm curious, "rc" indicates a 'release candidate'. Why use that instead of say, 9.0.4 stable?
kaveh1000 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:42 pm
I am trying to add a stack that I have added before
In order the questions I would have are:
* when you previously added this stack, were you using the same version of Lc?
* did you (as Thierry suggests) try creating a new stack and try to add it to that?
* are you able to add other stacks beside this one, or is it all stacks?

Those are what I would be checking first here, depending on the answers, there may be something else to check, or we might refer you to actual real support.

kaveh1000

Post by kaveh1000 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:28 pm

Hi all

Sorry, the responses to this went into the wrong area of my inbox (Gmail updates) so I did not see it till just now.

First of all thanks to Thierry for a great product (sunnYrex), which fills a big gap in LC for me. I have purchased it and I am very happy with it and with a lot of help that Thierry gives offline. I try and go back with suggestions. (How wonderful it would be if sunnYrex could be part of LC one day!)

Thierry, I am aware that supporting LC is not part of your service, which is why I put my question here, so I would not bother you but you have replied anyway offline several times. Thank you!

Bogs, I have now tried in 9.0.4 final release and same problem.

To answer some of the questions:
  • I have been using the same version of LC for a while (9.0.5rc1)
  • I can add sunnYrex library to any other stack in the Standalone Application Settings, and sunnYrex shows up in the list of stacks on the left, as expected.
  • When using a particular mainstack, LC allows me to open sunnYrex through the Standalone settings, but it then does not show up in the list of stacks
  • When I create a Standalone the functionality of sunnYrex is not present (not surprisingly). Thierry sent me a screenshot of the package contents of a standalone showing sunnYrex present. In my standalone it is not present
  • I thought that perhaps I have made a change to the mainstack that clashes with sunnYrex. I have many backups, so I tried those, but even stacks that were saved with sunnYrex added did not have it listed in the Standalone settings and did not allow me to add it either.
Thierry is still thinking about it although this is probably not a sunnYrex problem at all.

Thank you all. Any thoughts welcome again. :-)
Kaveh

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:21 pm

kaveh1000 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:28 pm
  • I can add sunnYrex library to any other stack in the Standalone Application Settings, and sunnYrex shows up in the list of stacks on the left, as expected.
  • When using a particular mainstack, LC allows me to open sunnYrex through the Standalone settings, but it then does not show up in the list of stacks
Tells me the issue appears to be with that stack, so the next question I have is, using this stack you can't add sunnYrex to, can you add a blank test stack to it?

The answer to that may be enlightening.

Thierry

Post by Thierry » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:56 am

bogs wrote:
Tells me the issue appears to be with that stack, so the next question I have is, using this stack you can't add sunnYrex to, can you add a blank test stack to it?

The answer to that may be enlightening.
Hi all,

So, finally, after asking few more precise questions about Kaveh's environment,
I found the culprit !

The library sunnYrex was already there, but as a substack.

Therefore, he couldn't add it another time in the set-up standalone window.

Kaveh, I humbly suggest:

- to learn and practice a bit more about stack, substack, external stack
and how to use "start using stack ".." accordingly.

- to report this, as in the set-up of your standalone
Livecode didn't want to load a second time the same stack, which is great,
it would have been quite nice and more productive to get a warning message.

Kind regards,

Thierry
!
SUNNY-TDZ.COM doesn't belong to me since 2021.
To contact me, use the Private messages. Merci.
!

kaveh1000

Post by kaveh1000 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:42 am

Hi all

Bogs: yes, I can add any other stack to the mainstack, except sunnYrex.

Please see my attached screenshot from the Project Browser (after suggestion from Thierry).

When I open my mainstack, I see sunnYrex as with the shot on the left. My substacks show when I click the + on the mainstack. I never added sunnYrex as a substack, so I do not think it is a substack. I believe it is loaded because I have

Code: Select all

start using stack "sunnYrexLibrary"
in OpenStack.

The screenshot shows the following series of events:
  • Open mainstack with sunnYrex in same directory
  • Delete sunnYrex from Project Browser
  • Save mainstack
  • Open mainstack again
Here is what I did to understand the problem. (I am sure it is not a sunnYrex related problem)
  • I removed sunnYrex from the directory of mainstack
  • I opened the mainstack
  • It complained at start using stack "sunnYrexLibrary"
  • I checked Project Browser, and no sunnYrex present now
  • I opened Standalone Applications Settings and attempted to load sunnYrex from another directory
  • It saw the library file and I pressed Open
  • No sunnYrex was showing in the list of stacks, as if it is not added
  • I checked Application Browser again – sunnYrex was listed there with the + sign
As always any thoughts appreciated and apologies if I have not understood things properly.
Attachments
substack.png
Kaveh

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:57 am

Nice catch there Thierry!

kaveh1000

Post by kaveh1000 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:44 am

Bogs, did you see my detailed report? I do not believe I have saved sunnYrex as a substack.

If I have it all wrong, tell me and I will go back to the drawing board!
Kaveh

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:18 pm

Yes, I see the detailed report, and am trying to recreate as much of it as I can, to see if I can recreate the issue.

The picture you posted is a little hard to follow, but I finally figured out (I think) what is being shown. I'll be a while experimenting, I hope someone else beats me to the answer.

The only thing I am sure of at this point is that it is, as you already surmised, not an issue with sunnYrex. For some reason, your rvclean is acting as if sunnYrex is already included. If I figure it out, I'll post again, but today is pretty loaded.

kaveh1000

Post by kaveh1000 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:56 am

I would appreciate any help on this Bogs. I am a bit stuck now! I think we agree it is not a sunnYrex problem. Appreciate your help as many times before!!

I am happy to take this into the Beginners' section and ask about what the plus sign by sunnYrex means as opposed to the minus signs that indicate substacks. But don't want to have duplicate threads. I just need to solve this problem somehow. ;-)
Kaveh

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:34 am

I am curious, after removing the sunnYrex stack from your project completely, and making sure it is not open in either the project or application browser in any way shape or form, can you then add it in the standalone settings?

IF the answer is no, making sure it is still not open in any way shape or form, what happens if you build your program and then put sunnYrex into the folder it would be in when your program calls it manually, not using the standalone settings? {I am assuming your using the "start using xxx" command here}.

Does your program now work as expected?
kaveh1000 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:56 am
what the plus sign by sunnYrex means as opposed to the minus signs that indicate substacks.
All stacks with the exception (I believe) of script only stacks show up as a stack and a card. All stacks will have a (+) sign next to them, regardless of whether they are single stacks or sub stacks. You only see a (-) when the stack header has been expanded to show the card (and any controls).
stacksPlusOrMinus.png
Add a little, subtract a little....
sunnYrex most likely does not have controls on it, but it will have a card unless it is a script only stack.

*Edit - I forgot to add that a sub stack in either the application browser or the project browser will show as a double window, where as a main stack icon is a single window.

kaveh1000

Post by kaveh1000 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:01 pm

Thanks for your patience Bogs.

I have done the following:
-- ensured there is no copy of sunnYrex library stack on my drive. I have zipped the only copy - this is to ensure mainstack does not see it when I open
-- I opened the mainstack. It complained at the line "start using..." as it did not see sunnYrex. I press "stop debugging" or command-y
-- I check project browser and ensure sunnYrex is not listed
-- With mainstack open I unzip sunnYrex
-- I go to Standalone Application settings and Add sunnYrex
-- I do not see sunnYrex in the list of stacks on left
-- I go to Project Browser and sunnYrex now does appear in the Project Browser along with the mainstack

As to the second part of your question: If I remove sunnYrex from the mainstack using Project Browser, and save, and if I reopen the mainstack, if sunnYrex is in the same folder then it successfully reads it and it is added in the Project Browser. And yes, I am using "start using xxx"

Hope I have clearly given the information.
Kaveh

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:28 pm

-- I opened the mainstack. It complained at the line "start using..." as it did not see sunnYrex. I press "stop debugging" or command-y
Good, this is what should be happening if the stack is not in memory.
As to the second part of your question: If I remove sunnYrex from the mainstack using Project Browser, and save, and if I reopen the mainstack, if sunnYrex is in the same folder then it successfully reads it and it is added in the Project Browser.
Perhaps I didn't explain the goal there well enough.

1.) Open your project without sunnYrex in the folder and make sure you get the error above at the "start using" line.
You don't need to obliterate sunnYrex from the drive, just make sure it is not in the folder, and that you get the error. Alternately, you can .zip it, but make sure the bare stack is not in the folder.

2.) Once you have cleared the error / stopped the debugger, go to the standalone application settings and use whatever settings you will make the final build with.

3.) When the application is built, go to the standalones folder, and put the sunnYrex stack in there at whatever path level your calling it from in the start using line.

4.) Does the application now work as you expect it to work ? It should, your only bypassing the standalone settings adding the file and your doing manually after the fact.

kaveh1000

Post by kaveh1000 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:08 pm

Oh, I misunderstood.

OK. I made Standalone without sunnYrex anywhere. Then I used Package Contents to put sunnYrex at same directory position as mainstack. I am calling the library from the stack script. Please see attached directory structure.

The stack is not working, so it is not seeing sunnYrex.
Attachments
directory.png
Kaveh

Return to “Talking LiveCode”