LiveCloud

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

gagsoft

Re: LiveCloud

Post by gagsoft » Sat May 18, 2019 7:59 pm

Hi Richard
My apologies...only saw your input now and many thanks

Peter G

mtalluto
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by mtalluto » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:48 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:27 pm
As far as I understand Cloud-based storage it is nothing more than a fancy way of avoiding
carrying a portable hard-drive in your pocket - and is totally useless when visiting your Uncle
in that village in the mountains where there is no internet.
Wow, am I late on this thread. Please forgive my delayed response.

I agree that cloud terminology is a bit confusing. It sounds a bit over the top in marketing for something we have had all along. Servers are not new. They have been available to everyone for as long as memory serves.

The critical difference is that data in the 'cloud' is spread across multiple systems to protect and improve data availability and integrity. The data systems are also able to grow and move your data as needed to maintain this excellent availability. All of this is managed automatically for you on your behalf.

LiveCloud comes with a database called CanelaDB. There are simple sync APIs that allow you to store the data you need locally. So, when you visit your uncle in the village in the mountains, you have the data you need with you — no need to bring extra hard-drives on this trip.

As you manipulate the data locally on the trip, your changes are on the device. When you return to an area with internet access, the same sync APIs will put the changes back into the cloud. Thus, you can access the same or different data on all your devices.

We have made this very easy to do. It is quite magical when you first experience it. After the glow is over, you get back to work making stuff. I hope this makes sense and opens your view on this topic.
Mark Talluto
--
Canela
design - develop - deploy: https://appli.io
Database and Cloud for LiveCode Developers: https://livecloud.io
Company: https://canelasoftware.com

mtalluto

Post by mtalluto » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:18 pm

sphere wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:32 pm
I'm not seeing the advantage of Livecloud over sqlite for local storage. Not even over the use of your own DB which you might have on your own webspace.
Also it's not bad to learn the basics of sql. They can help, because it's used almost everywhere on databases. Also many like to know that their info is stored in their own country.
Hi Sphere,

Yep, a bit late here on this thread. I thought it would still be useful to respond to some great questions.

The critical advantage is you use the same APIs for both local and cloud storage. For example:

//BUILD YOUR ARRAY
put "Sphere" into tDataA["name"]
put "Interested in some feedback" into tDataA["content"]

//SAVE YOUR ARRAY TO THE CLOUD
put cdb_create (tDataA,"myDBtableName","cloud") into tRecordID

More info on create: https://docs.livecloud.io/Create/

I could easily have stored this array to the local device by changing 'cloud' to 'local'.

You can sync the data back to the local device in a single line of code.
get cdb_sync("*","myDBtableName","cloud",false,false)

//'*' -DOES A SYNC CONSIDERING ALL RECORDS IN THE TABLE
//"cloud" -THE SOURCE DATA IS FROM THE CLOUD
//"false" -NO LOCAL RECORDS ARE TO BE DELETED IF THEY ARE UNIQUE TO THE CLOUD
//"false" -NO COLLISION DETECTION
More info on sync: https://docs.livecloud.io/Sync/

I would never advocate that learning any technology is a bad investment. SQL is the dominant player in databases. Knowing it will only enrich a developer's toolkit. When you are in control of the whole development stack, and the project needs cloud and local storage, using CanelaDB should save you a lot of time.
Mark Talluto
--
Canela
design - develop - deploy: https://appli.io
Database and Cloud for LiveCode Developers: https://livecloud.io
Company: https://canelasoftware.com

sphere

Post by sphere » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:19 pm

Hi Mark,

and thank you for your response.
Seems very easy indeed.
Maybe this is something to look into for an future project.
The way you explained it looks like a good advantage for syncing data.

regards,
Sphere

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:42 pm

simon.schvartzman wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:14 pm
If I'm not mistaken this is not the case if you use Apple Configurator 2 to load the App into the target device. I guess there is no time limit with such approach.
Hi Simon,

I believe the profile determines how long it will work for. Apps signed with an ad hoc distribution profile are good for 12 months. If you distribute "distribution apps" through TestFlight (an apple beta program) they are good for 3 months.

BTW, I am interested in finding someone who can test an ad hoc distribution process for me, using Apple Configurator 2. If you or someone you know are willing to be a test subject for this, please PM me.

Thanks
Mark
macOS 12.6.5 (Monterey), Xcode 14.2, LC 10.0.0, iOS 15.6.1
Targets: Mac, iOS

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:01 pm

dunbarx wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:09 pm
I develop for desktop only. But I would love to make an app now and then that I can load "privately'" onto my iPhone.

Does LiveCloud bypass the travail of Apple and Android vetting? In other words, does it live on its own, so that I can "publish" to my own phone in a vacuum?

And could I further "publish' to other selected smartPhones?
Craig, I think you can do what you want with very little difficulty using Xcode. All you have to do is join the Apple developer program, register your devices in the program, then create a "developer" certificate that you sign your apps with. Everything you personally sign and load onto your devices (using Xcode) will run for a year. As for other iDevices, again the process is not that hard as long as you can tether them to your computer for app loading. In this case, register the UDID's of these devices in your developer account (max 100 devices), create an ad hoc distribution profile, and then sign them with that profile instead of your developer profile. Apps you load this way are good for 1 year as well. I am currently trying to test a process I think will work through email distribution, but lets say we are still in "beta" on that one. Looking for testers if anyone is willing to be a guinea pig.

Mark

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:59 pm

Mark.

Interesting, Glad this thread re-emerged. I once had an Apple developer account fo HC stuff, back in the 90's. I wonder if it expired. Anyway, i will check.

What happens after one year? Do you simply go through the process again to reinstate for another year?

Craig

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:26 pm

dunbarx wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:59 pm
Mark.

Interesting, Glad this thread re-emerged. I once had an Apple developer account fo HC stuff, back in the 90's. I wonder if it expired. Anyway, i will check.

What happens after one year? Do you simply go through the process again to reinstate for another year?

Craig
Hi Craig,

You could try signing in at https://developer.apple.com to see if it still has you in the db 😊

I think it is a bit simpler for renewals. You can just go on the Apple site and say you want to renew, then download and re-build the app with the updated certificate or profile. On the Apple developer portal it clearly indicates beside each certificate/profile when it will expire so it's easy enough to track.

Mark

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:15 pm

Mark.

Well what do you know? I just renewed. Thank you.

As for actually publishing a stack onto my phone, I will start fooling around...

Craig

Return to “Talking LiveCode”