Determining the active email client on OSX and Windows...

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

paul@researchware.com
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Determining the active email client on OSX and Windows...

Post by paul@researchware.com » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:25 pm

Does anyone out there have reliable scripts for determining the active email client on OSX and/or Windows? Including and especially if the user is using GMail?

The issue is that when you use revMail (i.e. revMail address, [ccAddress, [mailSubject, [messageBody]]] ) it appears that Google GMail has a character limit on the length of a message that can be passed to it. I'd like to adjust some code I have that crafts a less detailed message for GMail users while retaining the more lengthy information for users of any other email client, but to do that I need to detect what client the user has set as their primary email client.

Any known good solutions to this would be very much appreciated,
Paul Dupuis
Researchware, Inc.

AxWald

Re: Determining the active email client on OSX and Windows..

Post by AxWald » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:15 pm

Hi,

had a quick search windows-wise, found nothing usable. Preferred mail program settings should be in the registry, but on a user-defined basis. May work, but the keys I found have strange names - including those nasty unique identifiers ...
From VBA, the other way, I didn't find anything useful at a quick glance, too.

Lemme think a minute ...

Maybe do it with the help of your user?
  1. At first run, answer "Hey User, we need to find your preferred EMail program! I will start it now and try to determine its name. Once I have found it, I'll beep. You will see an empty email, feel free to cancel it -after my beep! Come back to this window once you're done, and check the results in the area called 'Message'!"
  2. Now: "revMail aName@aServer.com"
  3. Then "get the openprocesses", analyze it, and you should have it. Beep, write a nice message into fld Message, and you're done ;-)
Tried, and worked, here. Hope it works at your side, too!

Just another question: Your talking about "GMail" - I know it as a mail provider, but not as a program with that you can interact? I'm using Thunderbird for my GMail accounts. Did I miss something?

Have fun!
All code published by me here was created with Community Editions of LC (thus is GPLv3).
If you use it in closed source projects, or for the Apple AppStore, or with XCode
you'll violate some license terms - read your relevant EULAs & Licenses!

Return to “Talking LiveCode”