What does Revolution actually build?

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Gavin

What does Revolution actually build?

Post by Gavin » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:44 pm

I've done some surfing but can't find a full answer to this - I'm just wondering what Revolution Studio actually creates? Does it build properly native applications? If I build for Mac OS X, is it a proper Carbon app? Am I looking at genuine Mac OS X window furniture?

Thanks
Gavin
Last edited by Gavin on Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marielle
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by marielle » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:35 pm

I will let a runrev's technician answer to that.

Another question I have in this register is whether the compiled apps comform to accessibility laws now in vigor in the education arena. Playing with "Universal Access", display and changing the size suggests that the app is rendered as a bitmap with hotspots. Can blind persons access the text content of the apps with their screen reading devices?

UK Law on accessibility at the RNIB (Royal National Institute of the Blind).
Disability Discrimination Act
UI Access
Legal Issues for Accessible Distance Learning attached to the IMS Guidelines for Developing
Accessible Learning Applications

Garrett

Re: What does Revolution actually build?

Post by Garrett » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:28 pm

Gavin wrote:I've done some surfing but can't find a full answer to this - I'm just wondering what Revolution Studio actually creates? Does it build properly native applications? If I build for Mac OS X, is it a proper Carbon app? Am I looking at genuine Mac OS X window furniture?

Thanks
Gavin
I'm no expert on executable files but I know that Studio does make .app
bundled and .exe on Windows. I compared the contents of a Rev Studio
made .app with other .app bundles on my system, and the Rev Studio .app
seems to be in order in comparison with all the other .app bundles.

And no other runtime modules are needed to distribute.

On the other hand, if using the old DreamCard or new Rev Media, you will
need to distribute a player which will run your .rev source files. This is
not as secure for your source codes though. Depending on your needs
though, such as kiosks, this may not be an issue since nobody should be
browsing around the contents of that computer and only be able to
interact with the kiosk program.

-Garrett

Obleo

Re: What does Revolution actually build?

Post by Obleo » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:44 pm

Gavin wrote:I've done some surfing but can't find a full answer to this - I'm just wondering what Revolution Studio actually creates? Does it build properly native applications? If I build for Mac OS X, is it a proper Carbon app? Am I looking at genuine Mac OS X window furniture?

Thanks
Gavin
Gavin, I use rev studio to build Mac OS X and also have use xcode. It is pretty much the same bundle from what I can tell. I have done bench mark tests also and works at native speed. I sent you a private message with a link to an app we built with rev studio for Mac OS X, so you can take a look at what Rev studio app looks like. (Sorry for not adding the link here but I did not find it proper) Check The Package Contents, It is all there. It looks works and feels like any other Mac OS X carbon app I have used.

pevensen

Post by pevensen » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:11 pm

You have a genuine Mac app. Not sure if the engine uses the Carbon API or if it uses Cocoa, but it is a Mac app. Soon you'll also get a Universal Binary.
Peter Evensen
[url]http://www.PetersRoadtoHealth.com[/url]

mcgrath3
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by mcgrath3 » Thu May 04, 2006 7:23 pm

Gavin,

Rest assured that the final build of a standalone is an actual executable application. So on Mac it is a bundle and on a Window it is a .exe

The stacks however are not and retain their relationship with Revolution. SO if you have a sustack and build a standalone then you will have one executable and one stack(the substack).

Tom
Tom McGrath III
Lazy River Software
3mcgrath@comcast.net

mcgrath3

Post by mcgrath3 » Thu May 04, 2006 7:23 pm

Gavin,

Rest assured that the final build of a standalone is an actual executable application. So on Mac it is a bundle and on a Window it is a .exe

The stacks however are not and retain their relationship with Revolution. SO if you have a sustack and build a standalone then you will have one executable and one stack(the substack).

Tom
Tom McGrath III
Lazy River Software
3mcgrath@comcast.net

Return to “Talking LiveCode”