Application mapping issue.

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

reelstuff
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Application mapping issue.

Post by reelstuff » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:22 pm

Ran into some interesting issues in regard to saving applications in standalone.

I began to test a simple standalone application and I wanted something besides the lack luster icon files provided with the studio application.

(hint, hint)

Anyway, after attempting to try different application icons, the standalone ceased to function, when I went back to the standard generic, bland, icons the application once again functioned.

I found that for some reason, the standalone is now mapping from studio to the runtime of enterprise, 2.9 beta,

Wow, how did that happen.

Anyone experienced this issue before?

To be plain, my studio application is now mapping to the runtime for Enterprise 2.9 beta, I have not tested the beta version because of a system crash on startup so abandoned it until the next version comes out.

just wondering if anyone has seen this before.

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:30 pm

Hi Reelstuff,

On which operating system is this?

I can build standalones with Rev 2.9.1-dp-1 for Mac OS X and Windows XP and they run fine with and without icons.

I am not sure what "mapping" means. Can you explain this?

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

reelstuff

Post by reelstuff » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:23 am

Hi, I believe that for some reason, when I attempt to build a standalone using studio 2.8.1

The runtime build file is pulling from the enterprise 2.9 runtime files.

I noticed two extra dll files in the build and traced them to the enterprise runtime files.

this occured even when I made sure that 2.8.1 was loaded and 2.9 was not active, strange issue, I may have to uninstall 2.9 and 2.8 and reinstall to get the correct application mapping,

Mapping, is like a path that the application follows to get the information from then runtime package, so the 2.8 application is using the file path information from the 2.9 runtime files, which is causing a problem because the icon files were stored in a seperate location, which the runtime could not know because of the incorrect mapping, I have an idea of how this happened, but not sure how to correct.

Here is my guess, ( I set studio as my default first) somehow enterprise became the dafault again, I opened a rev file and did not notice that 2.9 version opened the file, when I saved the file, changes occured.

later when I attempted to build a standalone file the icons were loaded using 2.8 but the standalone was created using the runtime of 2.9 so the standalone did not know where the icons were stored and so caused the application to stop working.

(my best thoery)

Interesting behavior, thanks for the reply.

BvG

Post by BvG » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:58 am

I doubt that icons associated in the windows explorer (this is a guess, as you still haven't answered any relevant questions), will hinder any application from running.

Also note that Runtimes made with Rev do not need any package somewhere else on your machine to run. If you use extra stuff, it gets included automatically (although this can be buggy), or you can choose what to include yourself. Relevant files and externals (.dll on windows) will always be copied next to your standalone.

Also, reinstalling stuff can help, so it's probably a good try. On the other side, asking support directly about crashing, or not even starting, applications is always the best way to get help.
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

reelstuff

Post by reelstuff » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:19 am

BvG wrote:I doubt that icons associated in the windows explorer (this is a guess, as you still haven't answered any relevant questions), will hinder any application from running.

Also note that Runtimes made with Rev do not need any package somewhere else on your machine to run. If you use extra stuff, it gets included automatically (although this can be buggy), or you can choose what to include yourself. Relevant files and externals (.dll on windows) will always be copied next to your standalone.

Also, reinstalling stuff can help, so it's probably a good try. On the other side, asking support directly about crashing, or not even starting, applications is always the best way to get help.
Hi, when I saw the two files included in the standalone files

libeay32.dll
ssleay32.dll

I knew there was a problem somewhere since the studio version does not include these files.

When I looked at the runtime files, for Enterprise, I saw these files in the runtime so, what occurred is that the Rev file is mapping through the Enterprise runtime (template) file system not the studio file system as it should.

Also the mapping for the icons would be effected by this problem as well, since I am not using windows but OSX.

Your right though I should contact support and or put a bug report together.

thank you for your reply and have a great day.

Tim

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:36 am

Hi reelstuff,

Something changed in your stack. As a result, Rev now believes it has to include those libraries. If you delete the libraries afterwards, the standalone might run into an error and stop running (but it might still be displayed in the task manager and you might have to kill the process manually).

Turn off automatic search for inclusion in the standalone settings and you should be fine. Of course, you will need to select any necessary inclusions yourself now.

There are no "mapping" issues whatsoever.

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

reelstuff

Post by reelstuff » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:39 am

Yes, I can see what you mean, I did select search,

so that is what caused the problem?

Odd that, I will change to manual and see if that corrects the issue,

thank you,

Return to “Talking LiveCode”