Player don't play

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Timothy

Player don't play

Post by Timothy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:10 pm

Thanks to help from Klaus and Lynn, I'm able to display photos and play videos in my new stack.

I went with using a player and keeping the videos in a separate folder.

Sometimes, though, the player is unresponsive when I click on the "play" arrow. I tried turning the "buffer" item on, but that doesn't seem to help.

Moving to another card and then back to the card with the unresponsive player on it sometimes gets the player working again, sometimes not. Sometimes navigating to another card containing a player for a different videoclip, playing that videoclip a bit, and then navigating back to the unresponsive player will get it working again.

I have several cards with players and videoclips on them. It seems that different videoclips are unresponsive at different times.

I'm working on isolating and replicating the problem, but there are a lot of hypotheses to test. If this is a well-known issue, please clue me, and suggest a workaround, if possible.

I think I have enough physical RAM.

These cards open and close with a visual effect. I wonder if this could be a factor.

If this problem seems mysterious, just tell me. I'll work harder to isolate and replicate it, then get back to you.

Thanks for all the help.

Tim

Lynn P.

Post by Lynn P. » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:31 pm

Hi Timothy ~

I'm definately not very experienced with using video in Rev apps... I use maybe one or two at most in some apps I've made and not done much with them via scripting, however... take a look at the "prepare" command in the Rev documentation which will preload a video file to speed up reponse when issuing the "play" command.

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:15 am

Hi Lynn,

I put the prepare command in the preOpenCard handler for the card where the player resides. Is that the right place? Or does it need to be in the openStack handler?

I'm pretty sure I got the pathname right. There's no error when the card opens.

It didn't work. Same problem occurs.

I checked Activity Monitor. There have been no page-outs. So, it's not a RAM issue.

Any other ideas?

Is there a corresponding command that purges the videoclip from memory after the card closes?

Cheers,

Tim

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:38 am

It works now.

Probably not a RR anomaly, after all.

Thanks for your help.

Tim

Lynn P.

Post by Lynn P. » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:24 am

Hi Tim ~

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, but to tell you the truth... I didn't have any further experience with video performance issues anyway.
Glad it's working now though! :)

Return to “Talking LiveCode”