Imported videos and images

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Timothy

Imported videos and images

Post by Timothy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:06 am

After I "import" an image or video into a stack, where do I find a record of the data stored in the stack?

How do I remove the image or video from the stack?

Thanks,

Tim

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:37 am

Hi Tim,

go to "Preferences -> Application Browser" and check "Show Video/Audio clips".

Then they will appear in the "Application Browser" where you can select and delete them.

Best

Klaus

Lynn P.

Post by Lynn P. » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:17 pm

Hi Tim ~

I would add to Klaus' advice...
The Application Browser can be found under the Tools menu and...

Images can be deleted in the Application Browser by clicking on the card name holding the image (on the left side of the pane), this will show all objects on that card including images.
Then click once on the image name (on the right side of the pane) to hilight it, then choose either "Clear Objects" or "Delete Objects" from the Edit menu.

For video and sound files, you will need to hilight the file and click on the 'ctrl' key to bring up a contextual menu which will have a delete option to get rid of the file. You can delete images this way too as a short cut instead of using the Rev menu, but video and sound files must either be deleted this way or by script.

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:09 pm

Thanks Klaus and Lynn,

I've never looked at the Application Browser before! Ya learn something new every day.

This methods is rather cumbersome, I must say. Some of my stacks have hundreds of cards. The image seems to be an object in the card, not the stack, even though the docs say the image data are imported into the stack. If I've forgotten which card contains the image, I've got some hunting to do. It's worse if the visible of the image is false.

By the way, if I select the image with the pointer tool, is the image data deleted from the stack? Or does that require an extra step?

In any case, is there a way get a list of the images, videos and sounds stored in the stack with a script?

Thanks again,

Tim

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:56 am

Oh! Okay, I get it now.

I know how to reference card button 1 or bg field ID "foo" and so on, in a script.

So I just do the same for "card image 1" or bg image ID 1234" and so on.

Thanks for the head start.

Tim

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:38 am

Hi Timothy,

sounds like you come from HyperCard :-)

You can save a lot of typing in Rev if you just write "image XY" or even "img XY" etc.!
"card image XY" or "bg image XY" is NOT necessary.

Regards

Klaus

P.S.
The image seems to be an object in the card, not the stack, even though the docs say the image data are imported into the stack.
The card is part of the stack so this is not wrong per se ;-)
...if I select the image with the pointer tool, is the image data deleted from the stack? Or does that require an extra step?
You have to hit the backspace or delete button of course.

Lynn P.

Post by Lynn P. » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:38 pm

Timothy wrote:This methods is rather cumbersome, I must say. Some of my stacks have hundreds of cards. The image seems to be an object in the card, not the stack, even though the docs say the image data are imported into the stack. If I've forgotten which card contains the image, I've got some hunting to do. It's worse if the visible of the image is false.
```````````````````
Another way to see all the images in your stack is to choose Image Library from the Development menu. Click on the Images tab in the resulting window... then choose:This Stack-myStackNameHere from the pop-up menu on the left. You will see all of the images in your stack here that you yourself added (albeit if they are large, you will only see parts of them)

Return to “Talking LiveCode”