My stack seems to be stuck in run mode.

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Paul D

My stack seems to be stuck in run mode.

Post by Paul D » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:36 pm

Well I searched the buglist for something like this but my lack of a proper way to search for this problem might have me stuck. Anyway, it seems that my stack is stuck in run mode. Switching between both the Edit (pointer) and Run (browse) tools does nothing within my stack. It treats both tools as run since I can not right-click -> edit script or select any other options for any buttons or boxes as if I were in Edit, when I click the inspector tool it just comes up blank and if I try to drag any new buttons or boxes in my stack my computer just beeps at me and it wont allow me to add anything. I have already tried to uninstall and reinstall revolution but that did nothing. Not sure what else to do. I dont recall any errors or crashes before I got to this problem and Im not finding anything in the Options or Development menus. Any help would be appreciated.

malte

Post by malte » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:14 am

Hi,

if you use the messagebox and type:

put the style of stack "yourStackName"

and

put the mode of stack "yourStackName"

what do you get?

Does toplevel stack "yourStackName" from the messagebox help?

All the best,

Malte

Paul D

Post by Paul D » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:05 pm

the style of stack is toplevel
the mode of stack is 2

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:45 pm

Paul, don't forget Malte's question
I'm pretty sure that the toplevel command will solve your problem.

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

deeverd
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by deeverd » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:24 pm

Hi Paul D,

Could your stack have accidentally been set as a "palette"? If so, it will only work in run mode and can't be edited.

Cheers, deeverd

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:32 pm

Deeverd, palette is mode 4.

Actually, your remark made me look up the mode in the docs and there it says mode 2 corresponds to a toplevelled stack with the cantModify set to true.

So, that answers the question. Paul needs to set the cantModify of his stack to false and all should be fine.

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Paul D

Post by Paul D » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:40 pm

Mark wrote:Paul, don't forget Malte's question
I'm pretty sure that the toplevel command will solve your problem.

Mark
I apologize, I wasnt aware that toplevel or mode was a command since I have never had a use for it before yesterday.
Mark wrote:Actually, your remark made me look up the mode in the docs and there it says mode 2 corresponds to a toplevelled stack with the cantModify set to true.

So, that answers the question. Paul needs to set the cantModify of his stack to false and all should be fine.
I found the cantModify checkbox and it was indeed checked and that was the problem. But that brings me to another problem which is how did it get set? I think I would have remembered checking a "cantmodify" button in the properties. And I know I didnt have a line of code to set my stack to cantModify since I never used the command before and didnt know it existed. Ive had strange things happen to me in Revolution before but nothing like stealthed property settings. :? Thanks again malte and Mark.

Return to “Talking LiveCode”