revBrowser JavaScript

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

drOrganized

revBrowser JavaScript

Post by drOrganized » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:11 pm

I am attempting to display the contents of a website with revBrowser.
I get a "JavaScript not enabled" message and quite a primitive HTML display instead of the nice website graphics I was hoping for.

Is there a way to enable JavaScript?

BTW the revBrowser tutorial recommended by the User Manual is not available on the rev website....

Dixie
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: revBrowser JavaScript

Post by Dixie » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:54 pm

drOrganized

Post by drOrganized » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:27 pm

thanks!

myrtlee

Post by myrtlee » Wed May 11, 2011 12:18 pm

Using a Javascript to access a Java Application after requesting User Permission? How can a JavaScript request permission to install a background executable Java JAR application? This is similar to how to install an ActiveX control. This is my problem: I have a java application that searches for a requested file, but I cannot implement the search in Javascript for security reasons. Is there a way that I can prompt the user to request permission to access their data and install, execute, and retrieve data with my java application?
Last edited by myrtlee on Sat May 14, 2011 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Wed May 11, 2011 1:00 pm

Is this a real question or a spam planting attempt?

mhoneywill

Post by mhoneywill » Wed May 11, 2011 1:12 pm

I would say its Spam the poster has only posted once

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Wed May 11, 2011 3:04 pm

The OP has made 16 posts to the forum thus far, and most of them are very LiveCode-specific and AFAIK none of them include spam links. If it's a spambot it's a very clever one in terms of detection and a very useless one in terms of bringing in revenue for the botmaster's client. :)

My own opinion is that the OP is a real person and is posting in earnest.

drOrganized, welcome aboard, and please be patient with the spamming suspicions. Like many (most?) PHPBB forums, this one gets a lot of spam. I mean a LOT. So we're very cautious about new posts with little in them that's specific to LiveCode. Nothing personal, the community here is just sharing a healthy interest in keeping the forums spam-free.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Wed May 11, 2011 5:01 pm

I'm not talking about drOrganized (who is clearly a welcome member of the forum) I'm talking about the (irrelevant to Livecode) post by myrtlee, who posted the latest "question" on 11th May at the end of a thread that had been answered and dormant since 6th March.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed May 11, 2011 5:48 pm

Thanks, SparkOut. Yes, that's clearer now, but still I have to wonder: what does a spammer hope to accomplish if they include no links in their spam?

If you folks prefer I can prune this thread to remove that post and its associated replies. Since there are no actual spam links in the post I don't have an opinion either way.
Richard Gaskin

mhoneywill

Post by mhoneywill » Wed May 11, 2011 6:21 pm

I too was refering to the posting by myrtlee not the OP sorry for any confusion caused.

testification

Post by testification » Wed May 11, 2011 7:32 pm

Just a test (by SparkOut):

The board settings are such that new users cannot submit posts with links in, generating an error message "Your account does not have permission to post links or domain/page references."

It will still allow posting with a link in the signature however (see below, with various permutations of the tags applied to see what works and what doesn't). It seems that quite a lot of spammers have recently discovered this fact.

A spambot being thwarted by the board policy yet still making a successful post (albeit without spam links) is an interesting thought. Who would bother to script a spam planter that reacted to the error message by removing the spam link and continuing to submit? On the other hand, sometimes there are threads made for the specific reason of saying nothing much relevant to the forum in question but "inviting" responses where a spammer may jump in and also say nothing much in particular yet still have the appearance of legitimacy. (As far as the search engines are concerned, anyway.) Or possibly the account was set up by bot and was unsuccessful in actually adding the signature, yet then went on to make the post without the bot owner being aware that the signature link was not included.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed May 11, 2011 8:25 pm

If you want a moderator to delete a post please just use the Report button.

But please use sparingly. The mods here are volunteers, and we have things to do too.

If a post is offensive or contains spam, just flag it. If it's innocuous, feel free to move on to enjoy the rest of your day.

Here in this thread I now have to decide whether to delete the non-spamming "spam" post and its accompanying replies, or just get on with my own day.

I'm moving on. Let me know if you want me to actually do anything.
Richard Gaskin

Return to “Talking LiveCode”