The Pointer Tool does not recognize a button's disabled property

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

SWEdeAndy
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: The Pointer Tool does not recognize a button's disabled property

Post by SWEdeAndy » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:56 pm

RCozens wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:19 pm
I must admit it did occur to me that including the cantSelect property in my request might trigger that response, Andy. I really don't know what the Pointer Tool is used for beyond what I use it for, which is to be able to select a control when testing/debugging without triggering a mouseUp handler. If it has other uses that impact end users, then I need to rethink my position.

But from my perspective, the Pointer Tool provides developers a means for using the mouse during testing/debugging in ways that differ from the Browser Tool's capabilities. If during testing I want to look at or change the properties or script of a control whose cantSelect property is true, I must currently gain access to the control via the Project Browser or the Message Box. Allowing a developer to select a control whose cantSelect is true has no more more effect on the end user's experience than allowing that developer to click on a control without triggering mouseUp.
OK, I think I get it - you want to use the cantSelect property to address the issue of the disabled property not properly disabling controls (i.e. still triggers other mouse messages than mouseUp/Down), right?

I've never used cantSelect as anything but a means to prevent some controls from being selected when I move stuff around with the pointer tool. I admit I use it very rarely, but it seemed to me it would lose all purpose if the one function of it - "can't select" - was bypassed. But yes, it can be said to have additional functions.

Still, when I develop and want to prevent mouseEnter/Leave etc to trigger in a control (disabled or not) when I pointer tool it, I would just put a leading "if the tool is not "browse tool" then pass mouseEnter" in it's script.
Andreas Bergendal
Independent app and system developer
WhenInSpace: https://wheninspace.se

RCozens

Post by RCozens » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:33 pm

I have never used the cantSelect property either. If I don"t want the user to select a control, I do not script it or I disable it.

Hjärtliga hälsningar,

Rob
Rob Cozens dba Serendipity Software Company
Manchester, CA USA

Each new generation gives more attention to the man-made world...
and less attention to the world that made man.

stam

Post by stam » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:38 pm

RCozens wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:33 pm
I have never used the cantSelect property either. If I don"t want the user to select a control, I do not script it or I disable it.

Hjärtliga hälsningar,

Rob
There was a fairly recent discussion about cantSelect - a good use of is if you want to have an app that offers pointer tool so the user can edit objects (eg change location/size) as you do in the IDE. However you don't want the user to change your app's user interface objects, so you can set their cantSelect to true, then the user can't resize/move them - but they are still clickable etc. Probably quite a niche property with limited use cases, but invaluable if you need it...

RCozens

Post by RCozens » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:39 pm

stam wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:38 pm
a good use of [cantSelect] is if you want to have an app that offers pointer tool so the user can edit objects
Thanks for reducing my ignorance Stam. I will amend my enhancement request to eliminate the reference to cantSelect and focus on not triggering handlers in disabled controls.

Rob
Manchester, CA USA

RCozens

Post by RCozens » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:33 pm

One last note all..

I have amended my enhancement request, and it occurs to me that developers who give end users access to the Pointer Tool would not want the tool to trigger handlers in disabled controls. If you are among them, please support my request: Bug 24150.

Cheers!

Rob
Manchester, CA USA

Return to “Talking LiveCode”