unwanted fireworks

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

unwanted fireworks

Post by dunbarx » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:18 pm

All

While working with only a single particular stack (that contains several subStacks), if I leave my computer for an hour or two, I get a rapidly changing series of dialogs that run for perhaps 30 seconds. There would be about 50 changes in that time.

There are two attachments. One can see photos of dialog boxes in front of a stack. The top dialog remains, though it blinks each iteration, the bottom one alternates being visible or not.

This never happens while I am working on any of the stacks in the stack file. Any sort of action by me seems to prevent it, even if the actions are many minutes apart. It is extended idleness that is the cause. It does not always happen after an hour or two, but always overnight.

Never a problem, apart from fright and annoyance. I always purge along the way, though I do not have to. After while the system settles down and I can continue work. As usual, I assume I am the only one who sees this.
thumbnail.jpeg
thumbnail.jpeg (21.81 KiB) Viewed 2218 times
thumbnail-1.jpeg
thumbnail-1.jpeg (23.17 KiB) Viewed 2218 times
Craig

Klaus

Re: unwanted fireworks

Post by Klaus » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:31 pm

Sorry, cannot read anything, images are way too small.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:30 pm

Klaus.

Will have go do something else for a while to let the gremlins think it is safe to act.

Craig

stam

Post by stam » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:20 pm

Craig, it's impossible to see the text of the dialog, the resolution is too low.

Why don't you take a screenshot - since you're obviously on MacOS, hit cmd-shift-4 then hit the spacebar to make it acquire the only windows instead of a user-selected area - that way you can get a screenshot of only the dialog window. I usually open these in Preview.app and export as jpg, reducing size until just under 200 Kb, seems to work well for posting on this forum... the error message shown might help someone provide a solution for you...

S.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:23 am

Stam.

Will play with all that, but the real story is the back and forth between the two dialogs, a dance that is unnerving, though nothing really bad has ever come from it.

How do I post a video here? Drop box?

Craig

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:22 pm

Is it the "A stack with that name is already in memory..." vicious circle?
That also drives me crazy from time to time, but it is not easy to reproduce.

However this is definitvely something LC need to fix somehow!

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:22 pm

dunbarx wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:23 am
How do I post a video here? Drop box?
Yes, that should do.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:52 pm

Klaus.
Is it the "A stack with that name is already in memory..." vicious circle?
Yes. I have several subStacks in the project I spend a lot of time on, and when I open another version of it, some of those subStacks are still in memory.

I get that.

It is this cycling of dialogs that I am concerned about. It only happens when the main stack is in front, and ONLY after I leave the machine completely alone for a few hours. It never happens if i am working on it or its substacks. It is that fact that is most baffling.

Oddly, sinceI first posted this issue, is has not recurred. Typical...

Craig

stam

Post by stam » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:21 pm

just a thought - could there be more than 1 stack or substack with the same name?
(I'm guessing not, but just in case...)

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:04 pm

Stam.

The principal project I am working on is a mainStack and six substacks. The stack name, as well as the stack file for each version differ only by an appended version number, as in "myStack100, myStack101," etc. All of the mainStacks and substacks themselves have the same name.

Maybe that method could have been more robust :roll: . I suspect that the dialogs are pointing out this fact, and it is not surprising to me.

It is the dance. I come back to a screen that I left alone hours ago, or a day ago, and find that as soon as I do anything at all, even bringing LC to the front, the dialogs bounce from one to another, and that lasts for dozens of cycles.

I will

Craig

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:45 pm

dunbarx wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:04 pm
The principal project I am working on is a mainStack and six substacks. The stack name, as well as the stack file for each version differ only by an appended version number, as in "myStack100, myStack101," etc. All of the mainStacks and substacks themselves have the same name.
Make sure all stacks are marked to delete when closed. It sounds like they are hanging around in memory and LC doesn't know which one to reload. Substacks won't be deleted, even if the property is true, as long as the mainstack is still in memory, so be sure to close the mainstack before opening a different copy.

Alternately, choose "Close and remove from memory" when closing the mainstack and it, and all its substacks, will be removed.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:02 pm

Jacque.

So I will ask this age-old question again.

Why, if both the "Purge Stack" and"purge Window" checkboxes are checked, does this not do that very job? All my stacks and substacks have those boxes checked.

In other words, what is the difference in selecting that function from the menu?

Craig

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:04 pm

Jacque again.

And anyway, even assuming I do not know the difference, that does not explain the "dance". Of course, since my last post, I have not seen it again.

Craig

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:12 pm

dunbarx wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:02 pm
Why, if both the "Purge Stack" and"purge Window" checkboxes are checked, does this not do that very job? All my stacks and substacks have those boxes checked.

In other words, what is the difference in selecting that function from the menu?
They are the same. But because substacks are in the same stackfile as the mainstack, they do not get purged when closed, regardless of that setting, as long as the mainstack is still open. In fact, you don't really need to have substacks set to be purged as long as the mainstack is.

To completely clear the mainstack and its substacks, either choose the menu item, which specifically warns that it will clear the substacks, or close the mainstack with the close box. Closing only a substack will not remove it completely.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:36 pm

Jacque.

I always close the mainStack, whichever one I am working on, with the close box. And all my stacks have their checkboxes checked. It has never seemed matter. Others have this same issue, to whatever extent it is annoying.

Never had anything bad happen, just that annoying thing.

Craig

Return to “Talking LiveCode”