Change in Windows standalone folder contents

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Change in Windows standalone folder contents

Post by dunbarx » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:41 pm

I just migrated to Big Sur, on the Mac where I develop, and I build a standalone for Windows. The contents of the Windows "standalone folder" have changed. Just two weeks ago, such a folder had:

1- An "Externals" folder, containing a "revZip.dll" file
2- The .exe file
3- The LiveCode mainStack
4- a "revPDFPrinter" library

Now a Windows folder still has all that, plus all the individual subStacks of the mainStack

I would not care, except that it seems that the mainStack can no longer call any of its subStacks. I assume because they now have to be loaded by hand?

OK, but where do I load these extra handful of subStacks, if that is how I must now do it? Same folder as the .exe file?

Craig

SparkOut

Re: Change in Windows standalone folder contents

Post by SparkOut » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:55 pm

In the Stacks tab of the Standalone Settings, do you have the "move substacks into individual stack files" option ticked?
stack files.png
stack files.png (13.88 KiB) Viewed 2777 times

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:22 pm

Sparkout.
do you have the "move substacks into individual stack files" option ticked?
No, and I know what you are getting at. Thanks, though.

Nothing changed except that I went from Catalina to Big Sur. In fact, I was skittish about the upgrade, and made sure that I did not change anything at all. I am a little worried that the answer is not obvious...

Craig

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:59 pm

I guess i will try to place all the substacks in the same folder as the mainstack. But I do not actually do that, simply handing over the Windows folder to the engineers who then mount it onto our servers. I am just the guy who makes the thing.

I miss having an app bundle that handles all that stuff.

Never upgrade without a good reason to do so.

Craig

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:34 am

I think I would try set set the "move substacks" option and make a build. Then deselect the option and build again and see if it has rematched the normal expectation.
If you do end up with the move option, you can also tell the Standalone builder to move them into a specific folder. (I've never done that, but I guess that might require adjusting the path of any calls specified in the mainstack though.)

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:33 pm

Sparkout.

Both my bad and the universe's bad.

It turns out that in the "Stacks" pane, the checkbox to move all subStacks into their own stack files was indeed checked. I had played around with that option a decade ago, and knew both what it did and why you proposed it as the possible culprit.

I did not check that box. I promise. But I never looked there, even after you mentioned the possibility, because, well, I did not check that box.

My old iMac failed three weeks ago, so I took the hard drive out, put it into one of those external boxes, and made a clone onto the SDD of a new iMac. The fact that process proceeded virtually without issue is amazing to me. I then continued to work as usual, though a few settings in other programs here and there had to be reset by hand. Anyway, the first time I simply made an updated standalone, I noticed the issue and wrote to the Forum.

Did I mention I did not check that box? I wonder if it is possible that the transfer somehow did?

Thank you.

Craig
Last edited by dunbarx on Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:17 pm

Hi Craig, you know you could've got away with it by simply saying "yes the move stacks option somehow managed to set itself to true. I fixed it now."

But you're a much more wholesome guy for that, and I know I would be happier to buy a drink for you than that other sly cove.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:32 pm

Sparkout,

Reallly, now. You do not need to buy me a drink. I would be embarrassed to accept that. Just send me the cost of one.

Craig

Return to “Talking LiveCode”