icons creation

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Drisk

icons creation

Post by Drisk » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:11 pm

Please!.....Can anyone tell me how to ...

#1. convert one 16x16 icon to meet the requirements of the following error message when I try to create a standalone for a PC?
"Your ico file does not include the 9 required image formats:
16 color 16x16 pixels
256 color 16x16 pixels
16 color 32x32 pixels
256 color 32x32 pixels
16 color 48x48 pixels
256 color 48x48 pixels
Windows XP (32 bit color) 16x16 pixels
Windows XP (32 bit color) 32x32 pixels
Windows XP (32 bit color) 48x48 pixels

and #2

How to enter the file names of all 9 of these icons into the single window to designate the Application Icon in the Set-up menu for creating the standalone?

Feel free to email me at djdrisk@verizon.net

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:25 am

I make all my icons for both platforms in one convenient plugin, IconBuilder:

http://iconfactory.com/software/iconbuilder

IconBuilder works in Photoshop, Fireworks, and nearly any other program that uses PS plugins.

Personally, I prefer Fireworks because I find the layering system and vector focus to feel far more natural for me, far easier to edit and apply effects.

But regardless which program you make your graphics in, it's hard to beat teh efficiency of generating icon files from them right in the program.

There are some free tools, but IMO you get what you pay for in terms of productivity with IconBuilder.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:46 am

I use a combo of the Gimp and IcoFX. IcoFX is Windows only, but the Gimp is cross platform and supports ico format.

Both of the above are either free or open source.

If you're using Windows and not familiar with making icons, then get IcoFX since it's specifically made for making icons. It will also produce icons for Mac if you need icons for Mac.

Icon files are typically a single file that contains one or more versions of your icon, such as different sizes and different color depths.
'What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others.' - Confucius (550 b.c. to 479 b.c.)

Drisk

icons creation

Post by Drisk » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:30 pm

Thanks to Fourth World and Garrett but my problem seems insurmountable because I developed my application on an iMac OSX Leopard. All of the recommended icon apps are for PCs.
My copy of IconBuilder is running on my mac in my OS X version of Fireworks.

The first heading on the page I linked to says "IconBuilder for Macintosh".

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:13 am

Hello,

Every Mac owner has a copy of the developer tools, which include the free Icon Composer. Icon Composer creates icons of pictures. After installation, you'll find it in /Developer/Applications/Utilities/Icon Composer.app.

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

bn

Post by bn » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:09 am

graphicconverter has a 30 day trial period. It is a Mac program. You can generate icons for windows and mac with it.
http://www.lemkesoft.com/
(no affiliation)
regards
Bernd

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:02 pm

Mark wrote:Hello,

Every Mac owner has a copy of the developer tools, which include the free Icon Composer. Icon Composer creates icons of pictures. After installation, you'll find it in /Developer/Applications/Utilities/Icon Composer.app.

Best,

Mark
OMG! I totally forgot about that! I remember now, I used to start off making my icons on Mac in Gimp, then opened them in Icon Composer to create the icons...

You know what though... It would be a most wonderful thing if someone created an Icon creation program with Rev, for Rev. Drawback is though is that Rev itself doesn't have the ability to load .ico files at all :-( In fact, this is what has stopped me from making many projects using Rev.

I would love to see Rev with the ability to load ico files, or display icons from exe, dll and icl files. Does Rev have the ability to display icn files?

Code: Select all

put URL "binfile:C:/Windows/System32/shell32.dll" at index "15" into image "Example
Something like that would be cool, to get the 15th icon located with in the dll file.

Ok, I'm going off topic, so back into my cave with me...
'What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others.' - Confucius (550 b.c. to 479 b.c.)

Drisk

icons creation

Post by Drisk » Sat May 02, 2009 4:56 pm

I took bn's advice and downloaded GraphicConverter. It makes a WIN icon but Revolution still prevents using it in standalone creations. I still get the message that is in my April 25th post. I do not own Photoshop.
Would anyone be willing to let me send them my Mac icon in either .tiff, .png, or .icns format and then convert it for me to meet all 9 of the REV requirements as stated in that post? I would be eternally grateful.

djdrisk@verizon.net

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat May 02, 2009 6:01 pm

Drisk, you can send me a picture for an icon. In the mean time, please check out IcoFX. It even runs in Wine on a Mac, without Windows (even though it might look a little weird).

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Return to “Talking LiveCode”