Dictionary Button Doesn't Work?

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

stephenmcnutt
Livecode Opensource Backer

Dictionary Button Doesn't Work?

Post by stephenmcnutt » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:37 am

I've been away from LiveCode for a year or so and just realized that in the latest version (7.0.6), the Dictionary button doesn't work. I saw a post with a link to an online dictionary. That's good, but shouldn't the button work? I'm sure this has been reported an answered, but since the forum search ignores the word "button", I couldn't find any posts about it.

Simon
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Dictionary Button Doesn't Work?

Post by Simon » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:13 am

Hi stephenmcnutt,
On Win 7 liveCode 7.0.6 the button/icon is working.
What's your set-up?

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:26 am

I will bet the dictionary is open, but it has a habit of moving to a place offscreen. If you use the message box to

Code: Select all

set the loc of stack "the dictionary stack name that I've forgotten" to the screenloc
it will probably appear for you to drag to the right place.

stephenmcnutt

Post by stephenmcnutt » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:47 am

You were right, SparkOut. The stack's name is "revDictionary", by the way. Once I set the loc of stack "revDictionary" to the screenLoc, it was way too large, so I couldn't drag or resize it. I had to select View >> LiveCode UI Elements in Lists then do Object >> Stack Inspector, which gave me the Inspector for MY stack, but I then clicked the triangle/play button at the top and selected Inspect >> Stack >> revDictionary and was then able to resize the darn thing.

Now that I'm done "debugging" the LiveCode IDE, I can turn my attention to my stack. :-)

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:16 am

You could also use the message box, just like you set its loc, you could have set the dictionary stack's width and height ;)
Glad you got it sorted anyway

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:33 pm

Something odd here. Setting the loc of a stack to the screenloc does not resize it to the screenRect, it only sets its loc to the center of the screen. Sure you did not set the •rect• of that stack to the screenRect?

Craig Newman

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:53 pm

If the orginal size of the dictionary stack was too big to fit the new window (eg was originally set being used on external monitor and now moved to the screenloc on a laptop) then this could have happened. It shouldn't go hiding itself away offscreen regardless (which it frequently does on my laptop, on which there has never been an external monitor attached). I was just pointing out an easier way to get the dictionary to fit a manageable size.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:34 pm

Sparkout.
If the orginal size of the dictionary stack was too big to fit the new window (eg was originally set being used on external monitor and now moved
That is true. People are so flexible these days. So the trick is to set the rect AND the loc to something safe.

Craig

Return to “Talking LiveCode”