Project: Spanish language translation of the User Guide

Working group for improving LiveCode's User Guide, Dictionary, and other learning resorces.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Project: Spanish language translation of the User Guide

Post by FourthWorld » Sat May 17, 2014 1:32 am

Some of the members of the community have graciously offered to translate the LiveCode User Guide into Spanish, so this forum is a working group for those members to coordinate the effort.

For those of you who contribute to this project: I've requested the most recent working draft of the User Guide from the core dev team, along with any word processor templates they may have for it. If you need anything else let me know and I'll do my best to get it for you.

Thanks for taking this on!

PS: While most of these forums favor English speakers, for translation projects it's more important that people use whatever language they can work most productively in. So don't feel obliged to post in English here, use whatever language helps you move the work forward most smoothly.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

capellan

Re: Project: Spanish language translation of the User Guide

Post by capellan » Sat May 17, 2014 1:40 am

While most of these forums favor English speakers, for translation projects it's more important that people use whatever language they can work most productively in. So don't feel obliged to post in English here, use whatever language helps you move the work forward most smoothly.
This is correct. Many Thanks for your help!

Where could we download this working draft?

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat May 17, 2014 2:04 am

I'll post 'em as soon as I get 'em.

In the meantime, it may be helpful for you folks to figure out how you want to break up this task. It's a big job, but with enough people it can be done with reasonable effort.

I'll let some local Spanish-speaking friends know about this as well and maybe they'll chime in.

As the work comes together, can I count on you to keep track of contributors? I want to make sure everyone involved gets appropriate credit in final work.
Richard Gaskin

capellan

Post by capellan » Sat May 17, 2014 2:11 am

FourthWorld wrote: In the meantime, it may be helpful for you folks to figure out how you want to break up this task.
It's a big job, but with enough people it can be done with reasonable effort.
Ideally, translator teams should start creating a words and phrases english-spanish translation dictionary for the entire User Guide.
In our 21st century, a first draft of this dictionary is created in a few hours.
Later, this dictionary is refined, over and over, in the course of the translation project.
FourthWorld wrote: As the work comes together, can I count on you to keep track of contributors? I want to make sure everyone involved gets appropriate credit in final work.
Yes, I will keep track of all contributors. After the User Guide is completed, the same group would translate the Dictionary with minimal effort.

By the way, everybody agrees that PDF is the standard format for distributing documentation, but LiveCode User Guide should be available as a stack, too. Ideally, this User Guide stack must follow the pdf User Guide contents and demostrate (by example) the most common and useful capabilities of this development platform.

LiveCode Dictionary (stack) could demostrate by example many of it's commands, functions and messages defined and explained.

Electronic documents, like a stack, should be hyperlinked, customizable, interactive, printable and (why not) user translatable. Imagine that a user hovers the mouse pointer over a word and the selected language translation appears in a tooltip or a text field. Of course, the stack should include, beforehand, this translation dictionary created by a LiveCode user or developer.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu May 22, 2014 11:46 pm

Alejandro - I spoke with Kevin and Ben this morning about your Spanish language translation, and they're eager to see it happen. We're going to coordinate it with a modest cleanup effort on the English version first, and then that Word file will be made available to your team for translation.

Thanks for helping with this, Al. This is going to be very cool.
Richard Gaskin

Return to “Documentation and Tutorials”