Creating an online assessment tool

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

earl

Creating an online assessment tool

Post by earl » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:30 am

I would like to build an online assessment tool. The idea being to ask a list of questions (like in an online survey) on a specific business topic and based upon the answers a recommendation (advice) would be presented as a response to the user. Are there any scripts currently available for this?

Thanks in advance.

Earl

Mark Smith

Re: Creating an online assessment tool

Post by Mark Smith » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:14 pm

Earl, if you want to do this in a browser using Rev, you'll need to do it as a cgi. There is a fine Rev cgi tutorial here:

http://www.hyperactivesw.com/cgitutorial/index.html

If you're thinking about a Rev app that connects to a remote server, then there are various ways - you could use sockets, cgis, ftp, etc.

Best,

Mark

earl

Re: Creating an online assessment tool

Post by earl » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:18 pm

Thanks Mark, will check out the tutorial. However, I'm not really that knowledgeable about programming, etc. so it may take me some time to figure this stuff out. Been doing some research on creating this tool and I know that there are "expert systems" available, but these seem to cost a bit too much. I know that Runrev.com has some sample scripts, etc. So I was hoping to use something that's already out there and build on/customize it if necessary.

Regards,
Earl
Mark Smith wrote:Earl, if you want to do this in a browser using Rev, you'll need to do it as a cgi. There is a fine Rev cgi tutorial here:

http://www.hyperactivesw.com/cgitutorial/index.html

If you're thinking about a Rev app that connects to a remote server, then there are various ways - you could use sockets, cgis, ftp, etc.

Best,

Mark

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”