How to retreive the version information of a standalone app.

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

brainois

How to retreive the version information of a standalone app.

Post by brainois » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:38 pm

Hello,

I would like to build an "About the application" dialog box displaying information entered in the "Standalone application settings..." (like version information, etc...). My question is: "how do i retreive these information from a script."

Regards and happy new year to all!

oliverk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by oliverk » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:49 am

Hi Brainois,

While running in the IDE, the standalone settings for stacks are stored in a custom property set, to see the available properties and to retrieve one use something like this:

Code: Select all

put the customKeys["cRevStandaloneSettings"] of this stack & return
put the cRevStandaloneSettings["Windows,fileversion1"] of this stack after msg
However, these settings are removed by Revolution when a standalone application is built (to save memory), so you won't be able to access them
in a standalone.

One way around this is to use the savingStandalone message, which is sent to your stack in the IDE just before it is saved as a standalone. You can use this opportunity to copy information from the cRevStandaloneSettings custom property set to your own custom properties, and then use these to display the information you want.

Let me know if this is any help.

Regards

Oliver
Oliver Kenyon
Software Developer
Runtime Revolution

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”