polylist number of row limit

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

stam

Re: polylist number of row limit

Post by stam » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:41 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:26 pm
I can't yet compare PolyGrid or PolyList as those don't appear here. Normally such omissions are a result of incomplete inclusion during standalone building, but in this case I'm running in the IDE.

Anyone have enough experience with either of those to have an opinion on why they don't render here? I've never needed either (or any other widget) yet, so there may be some odd thing the widget-using customer is expected to do that I simply haven't done.
They appear for me, no special action needed - the widgets are already installed mind you. Are they installed on the IDE you're using?

S.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:51 pm

stam wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:41 pm
They appear for me, no special action needed - the widgets are already installed mind you. Are they installed on the IDE you're using?
That's probably it. It didn't initially occur to me that the shift to a single package last year was short lived, and now we've returned to the piecemeal packaging of the olden days.

Oh well, at least I've trimmed the field operations here.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:44 pm

I may be remembering wrong, but I didn't see them until I bought the extension package.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

paul@researchware.com

Post by paul@researchware.com » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:47 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:18 pm
stam wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:04 pm
Out of curiosity I checked to see how long a width of 32,767 pixels is in reality:
Assuming 1 pixel = 0.0002645833 m (which is what I found online), this would equate to 8.7 meters.
Has anyone really come up against this limit?
I would suggest that if yes, there are more serious issues with the UI design used that with the datagrid itself... No one could possible need an app to use 8.7 m of columns, surely?
A similar question may be worth pondering for record count: what exactly do we expect anyone to actually do with a list of 32,000 records? Read them? :)

Of course what we'd want there is filtering.

And if the filtering is done up front, we never need to render 32,000 records.
With a default column width of 100px (i.e. a reasonable width to display a few words or short phrase or long number), 330 columns puts you over the 32,767px width) and I reported the problem to the LC quality center becuase with have real researchers with datasets of more than 330 columns (by many hundreds of rows).
Paul Dupuis
Researchware, Inc.

paul@researchware.com

Post by paul@researchware.com » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:53 pm

If you are using a Polygrid or Datagrid (or whatever) for data you control and can present, then you can be sure to manage filtering, sorting, etc to present the data in chunks that fit to the practical limits of the objects. If your application allows customers to manage their own datasets, you can nevver be sure what said customers will do ... or try to do. Even if smart filtering is an option, they may not use it OR they simple may want to "see" all their data (for whatever reason makes sense in their head), so you can run into these limitations in the real world, It is why Excel (and most other spreadsheets) supports sheets with much more than 330 columns and thousands of rows.
Paul Dupuis
Researchware, Inc.

stam

Post by stam » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:49 am

paul@researchware.com wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:53 pm
Even if smart filtering is an option, they may not use it OR they simple may want to "see" all their data (for whatever reason makes sense in their head), so you can run into these limitations in the real world, It is why Excel (and most other spreadsheets) supports sheets with much more than 330 columns and thousands of rows.
I would argue Excel doesn't do this so users can 'see' their data. It's valid for computational reasons but if you're needing this to 'see' the data, then for my money the spreadsheet analogy with > 30 columns, let alone 300, is not helpful.

Would this also be a good time to remind everyone of the debacle with lost test results with 'test and trace' in the UK, you know that COVID service that cost the taxpayers £35 billion, only that to realise that actually excel does have limits. Something like 150,000 COVID test results were permanently lost because they used excel as storage but an exceeded the number of rows excel could manage.

I'd suggest that grids (including excel) are not good storage options for data and even less good interfaces for data review...

S.

terryho

Post by terryho » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:32 pm

Hi

I did not explain clear. DG row limit is happen in mobile platform, while in desktop I think it is more row.

Polylist can have better perforamce, which not load all data in one time. The inifinitelist example demo the late loading of data, which is more easy to use then DG.

Regards

Terry Ho

Happy New Year

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:17 pm

terryho wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:32 pm
Hi

I did not explain clear. DG row limit is happen in mobile platform, while in desktop I think it is more row.

Polylist can have better perforamce, which not load all data in one time. The inifinitelist example demo the late loading of data, which is more easy to use then DG.
I have no opinion on Polylist, and it's true that DataGrid predates the popularity of the infinite scroll convention.

But the DataGrid only renders the rows visible within its group bounds, swapping out the data being displayed on scrollBarDrag.
Richard Gaskin

terryho

Post by terryho » Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:48 pm

Hi all

Polylist does't need extra codeing to make it smooth scrolling in mobile platform. While the DG we need more codeing in it.

Regards

Terry Ho

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:18 pm

terryho wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:48 pm
Polylist does't need extra codeing to make it smooth scrolling in mobile platform. While the DG we need more codeing in it.
It may be a good time to ask why we still need to write code just to get ordinary scrolling behavior for fields and groups on mobile platforms.
Richard Gaskin

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”