DreamCard-style help

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller

rozek

DreamCard-style help

Post by rozek » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:04 pm

Hello!

The old DreamCard had a nice, tree-like organization of help topics (rather than just a flat dictionary). Where is that gone?

I know, that I can change the orientation of keyword list and description window in Studio's help - but how do I get the tree-like overview?
Kind regards,

Andreas Rozek

oliverk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by oliverk » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:26 am

Hi Rozek,

In Revolution 2.7.0 we rewrote the help system, and changed the design of the dictionary. We believe that the new design is faster and more intuitive, although it does not have the old tree structure of topics.

You can achieve the same effect as the old system, however, by filtering and sorting the dictionary. For example if you want to see all keywords associated with buttons, you can right click on the title bar of the dictionary, and show the Button column, then click on the column header to sort the relevant keywords to the top. You can also filter the dictionary using the search box at the top.

Hope this is some help.

Regards

Oliver
Oliver Kenyon
Software Developer
Runtime Revolution

rozek

Post by rozek » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:35 pm

Hello Oliver!

I tried to "filter" the help topics as described, but still ended up with a whole bunch of unstructured topics - thus, the filter mechanism is no real replacement of the tree-like structure you had before.

Hmmm, may I trigger a "feature request" bringing back the old tree-like organization? ;-)
Kind regards,

Andreas Rozek

oliverk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by oliverk » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:28 pm

Hi Rozek,

You may certainly enter a feature request if you want.

We currently use Bugzilla for keeping track of bugs and feature requests, you can add a bug here:

http://support.runrev.com/bugdatabase/e ... Revolution

If you set the severity of the bug to "Enhancement", this will be registered as a feature request and taken on board when we make changes to the Documentation stack.

Regards
Oliver Kenyon
Software Developer
Runtime Revolution

rozek

Post by rozek » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:09 pm

Well,

this stuff is getting me upset now - since I lost my old DreamCard documentation (might have gone after installing the latest version of RevolutionStudio, but I don't know for sure) it takes me so long to find the answers to what I'm searching in the docs that using RevStudio is getting really inefficient.

And: no(!) the new style of the documentation is not(!) better than the old one.

And: no(!) the filtering mechanism is not of too much help - not a least an alternative to just expanding a tree or collapsing it.

I'm really disappointed about this change in Revolution!

Is there *any* way to get the tree-like overview back?
Kind regards,

Andreas Rozek

rozek

Post by rozek » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:26 pm

Yeah!

I re-installed my good old DreamCard (2.6.1) and got the structured help back - great!!!!

Really, there is NO alternative for that kind of help organization
Kind regards,

Andreas Rozek

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”