livecode script on github

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: livecode script on github

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:36 pm

GitHub seems better as an assessment of usage than a driver.

The market segment for which we might put a lot of effort in to try to influence there has one known common attribute: they're GitHub-savvy, which suggests deep immersion in and commitment to other languages.

And do we ignore GitLab?

I can't see altering my workflow for such a minor incremental influence.

Organic reach is the strongest reach.

Use LiveCode. Publish pages at your sites about LiveCode. Share relevant info about LiveCode in social media, web forums, classrooms, work meetings, and other useful places.

Do good work, talk about it freely, let people know how you did it.

Such organic efforts would seem at least as likely to influence adoption as focusing on one source control site, arguably more so. And it doesn't require restructuring your development workflow.

And I agree with Stam that anything the community does is only part of the picture. The primary driver of any commercial entity must be the entity itself. With that, enthusiasm grows naturally. Without it, it's an uphill battle.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

PaulDaMacMan

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:40 pm

AndyP wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:33 pm
I did a little digging, and searching on github there are>

--- SNIP ---

As far as I can determine there are only about 30 repositories on github with .livecodescript files, which falls well below the 200 repositories required to be considered as a language listing in github.

So in conclusion what we need is a concerted push for more repositories containing livecodescript files.

--- SNIP ---
Thanks for that. I had done similar digging when I first noticed my repos were tagged with the wrong language, which it seems you can influence, blocking code files such as HTML from being counted in your repo, but you cannot add a language that isn't in the official list, via .gitattributes files. I came up with similar counts (I think I included .lc files as well).

I may try to get my repos tagged as AppleScript because that's probably the most similar in the official list (there's no HyperTalk/SuperTalk on the list either), and that's probably an audience that LC should be courting anyway. But that's not why I started using LC. And I was using GitHub for maybe a year before I even noticed the language tagging system. I do think it could be influential for someone considering adopting LC or getting an institution to. In fact someone posted as much on this forum not all that long ago, noting that LC's own repos are tagged with C++, which IS actually correct (although there's also many .livecodescript files and .lcb too that parts are written in).

I agree with the sentiment that LC should themselves try to get added to that list (and perhaps GitLab and SourceForge too). A pull request explaining that the language and predecessors have been in use in one form or another (binary) for decades, from a commercial enterprise (as opposed to some "Joe Schmoe" like me) may carry more weight with the people doing the merging. And it is free advertising, so why not?
My GitHub Repos: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/
Related YouTube Videos: PlayList

PaulDaMacMan

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:28 pm

Kind of a moot point now, but I just realized that LCC GitHub repos had no tags on them to help someone searching for "natural language" or "HyperCard" and the like to find LCC! That's the type of SEO thing that should've be taken advantage of as free advertising!
My GitHub Repos: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/
Related YouTube Videos: PlayList

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”