Hotspot Controller

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

wmiriye

Hotspot Controller

Post by wmiriye » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:35 am

I am developing an APP for a client who is looking to provide internet services where internet that is limited. He wants to provide hotspot to people by moving around to different places. How would I stop/disconnect a person connected to the hotspot via script when their time limit has reached? Many will be connected so manually disconnecting would mean others would be disconnected. I can't figure out how I would target individual app ids and then terminate their connection via the hotspot controlling App while others were still using it.

liveme

Re: Hotspot Controller

Post by liveme » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:29 am

Hi, Wifi nomader...

Depends what "subcription" you plan to offer !
I would start looking directly in the Wifi Router features and software that comes with.
That is your best play !
You may find that some models offering a HotSpot managing feature comes with all what you want/need out of the box and this will save you all the coding headache beside, this is from farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the best way to go.

Else.... :roll:
if you start with a regular non hotspot ready router, and lots of coding test ahead... !
Most all routers include a setting page with a basic Black list users so that one can restrict access to anyone added to the list.

...but these black list needs to be manually modified which you practicaly want to avoid doing manually I beleive !

So I guess you would have to use the router as website manager access point.
It seems to me that you would have to code the following in order to reach that goal :

- Code to Access the Router IP address and Login/logoff. (guess that this is quite easy)
- code to move between pages... and fields...
- Code to find and retreive the "new user Mac address" on the guest network !

( this guest network would be like a free open access network but with limited/no internet access;
*it would just be used to see connected devices (MAC ad?) info to it)

- code to then copy past this Mac Add. to the other "Paying Members" wifi network White list.
- Copy/past that very Mac address into your LC App. table too...
(you d have to confirm with the user that the Mac is the right one probably)
- Start a timer countdown for this Mac address. for X minutes in your App Table...
Once time is over...
- Code to have your App adding the Mac Ad. to the other Router Black list while removing it from the Router white list.
and voila, your app can almost manage your weird users !

USUALLY, as soon as a Mac address is added to a router Black list the blocking is instantaneous.
no need to reboot or interupt other connected users...
*make sure about that before buying any router.
Code a bit more to have a new WIFI password generated each day...restrains previous users from hacking !

Good practice involves,
deactivating the WDS access on the router.
using a stronger Router password than "i'mzeboss123"
connecting to your own router using cable.

PS: there is probably some free/pâid Opensource Firmware that can be installed on some Routers model and are including hotspot features.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:13 am

Have you considered using any of the existing internet cafe packages?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

wmiriye

Post by wmiriye » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:24 am

The client is going to tether his cell phone internet to others and needs the App to manage the users..so not using a router in this use case.

liveme

Post by liveme » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:31 am

some Router models can :
- work wtih the 4G network
- Accept Sim cards...
- or bridge from the phone to the wifi.
..found nothing on the playstore Apps for Android or Ios to act as a hotspot ?

wmiriye

Post by wmiriye » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:30 pm

Interesting, I'll look into the routers. I looked into google play store but really did not go in depth. I'll check around and see what solutions are available based on your suggestions. Thanks.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”