Color Choser

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Xero

Re: Color Choser

Post by Xero » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:07 pm

Excuse my naivety, I can't even seem to find the path to get to the palette for the colour chooser...
Is it a plugin by chance?
If so, if you go to Development - Plugins - Plugin Settings, and go to the plugin (if your colourchooser is there), you may be able to change the settings for it... Or alternatively, you may be able to do the same thing for palettes?
I just started playing with plugins, and noticed that you can choose an option to make the plugin open when you open livecode. There may be a similar thing going on...
XdM

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:46 pm

In the time before time (prior to v9), the color chooser for the the tool palette was merely a stack that acted as a popup menu....

You'd go to the 'View' menu, and choose 'Livecode Elements in UI list'. However, there were a lot of changes between then and the current setup. The current setup shows the actual answer color dialog when you click on one of the color buttons in the tool palette, and the greater number of stacks are now script only stacks.

As you can see, the greater bulk of the scripting that determines what you see when you click on a button in the tool palette occurs in the actual 'revTools' stack script.

If you want the path to anything you see there, you can always open the message box and get the long name of it, or right click on the entry and go to it, etc.

I think the newer method is a better way of presenting the color dialog, btw, but not so much I'd ever move up.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:25 pm

Just to clarify, the color chooser on Mac and Windows has shown the system color picker for years. I think it's only on Linux that the built-in palette stack is used.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:42 pm

My bad, Jacque, This line -
bogs wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:46 pm
In the time before time (prior to v9), the color chooser for the the tool palette was merely a stack that acted as a popup menu....
...should have read
In the time before time (prior to v8.0.1)...

I'm pretty sure that regardless of OS, Lc 7.1.4 still had the built in palette, in 8.x it changed over (on 'nix at least) which is probably farther back than most of Lc's user base goes, unless your me, who went so far back that I never came back heh :twisted:

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:37 am

I just tried LC 6.7.4 and got the system color picker on Mac.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:48 am

Been a long time since I've seen a color picker for 8-bit color lookup tables.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

trevix

Post by trevix » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:52 am

All of this is very interesting. :lol:
While I never enabled "show LC UI elements" in preferences, any idea of why this stack keeps appearing on my project browser?
Some may find interesting to know how a non requested stack opens in LC without the user knowing it (beside being, in this case, a UI stack)
Trevix
OSX 14.3.1 xCode 15 LC 10 DP7 iOS 15> Android 7>

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:17 pm

jacque wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:37 am
I just tried LC 6.7.4 and got the system color picker on Mac.
Wait, what ? I don't think we are talking about the same thing at all, the error is probably on my part, but this is what I am talking about (osx10.6.8 / Lc 7.1.4)

trevix wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:52 am
All of this is very interesting. :lol:
While I never enabled "show LC UI elements" in preferences, any idea of why this stack keeps appearing on my project browser?
Some may find interesting to know how a non requested stack opens in LC without the user knowing it (beside being, in this case, a UI stack)
I'd sure be interested in knowing, as I indicated earlier I hit this a LOT in not only the older IDEs (6.x to say, 7) but in the newest ones when I do crack one open (8.x -> 9.x). For me, the added stack is almost always the revPrint one though.

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:49 pm

Oh that. I was using "answer color" to test. Yes, I get that color palette stack in the tool palette. I never use it, but I also never see it in the application browser. I avoid the project browser.

I did see several IDE stacks in the app browser a few versions ago, but only once and a relaunch of LC fixed it.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”