Project Brower keeps disappearing

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

djpenton

Project Brower keeps disappearing

Post by djpenton » Wed May 29, 2019 3:18 am

Ok, I have less than 2 days experience with LC. (LC 9.5 community on Windows 10.)

The project browser constantly disappears. (I have tried with backdrop both on and off.)

A Google search shows that this happens to other people, but I don't really find a solution. For example, I have never used "dual monitors", which crops up as a potential cause.

What is going on? This seems like a pretty fatal flaw, no? What to do? This can't be that hard.

bogs

Re: Project Brower keeps disappearing

Post by bogs » Wed May 29, 2019 8:04 am

david@arrowsash.com wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:18 am
What is going on? This seems like a pretty fatal flaw, no? What to do? This can't be that hard.
I would suggest that being a beginner in this language, you might want to start with at least a stable version of the IDE, which the latest current version is 9.0.4.

9.5 is a 'DP', or developer preview of upcoming proposed changes, and is intended to be used by people likely to understand how to write the building blocks of the IDE itself, or at the very least, have a firm grasp on how the language itself works and how the IDE is supposed to work based on experience.
DP - Short for "Developer Preview", these releases are not feature complete and are likely to contain bugs. They have been made public to allow LiveCode developers to experiment with the latest features and give feedback to the team. Users who find bugs can file them at https://quality.livecode.com.
So at this point in the release cycle, no, I would not consider that a 'fatal flaw', what you would do is go to https://quality.livecode.com and check through the db and see if there is a bug report filed for this issue. I am pretty sure it will be fixed before this version goes gm (gold master), what is more commonly referred to as 'stable' and intended for general consumption.

*Edit - in point of fact, there is an existing bug report about this having occurred in a previous DP release, so you can append your testing to the bottom of the report here : https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20243

djpenton

Post by djpenton » Wed May 29, 2019 11:54 am

Ah, interesting. I was running an earlier (I suppose stable) version, when LC advised that an update was available. No warning (IIRC) that the upgrade version was a development one. So I upgraded. I'll see what happens in a stable version.

Thanks.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Wed May 29, 2019 12:17 pm

Hi David,

in the LC preferences -> Updates you can choose what you want to be notified about, sounds like all of the four options have been checked in your version. :D

Best

Klaus

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed May 29, 2019 12:26 pm

Yea, I've been meaning to file an enhancement request to eliminate that behavior. By default, the preferences for updating include *all* releases, which for newcomers can be ...
* confusing
* discouraging
* implant the thought that the product is completely unreliable
* confusing AND discouraging

I'll go file that request this morning I think, cause right after the backdrop it seems to be the biggest issue for people who might stick with the language.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Wed May 29, 2019 12:38 pm

Yes please, thank you!

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed May 29, 2019 12:49 pm

LOL!

I think the quality db is having an issue. I tried to submit this twice, and I keep getting this page -
Selection_003.png
Bad on me...
*Edit - finally after 3 more errors, it went through :P

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:06 pm

It has been confirmed as an enhancement request, yyaaaayyy :D

I realized as I was re-reading this thread that I had forgotten to address this part of djpenton's last post,
djpenton wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:54 am
LC advised that an update was available. No warning (IIRC) that the upgrade version was a development one.
So, when presented with the update checker, here is how it is set up -
WinXp_Programmer [Running] - Oracle VM VirtualBox_001.png
This update just in...
In the above picture, by default the 'stable' release is highlighted in green. If you hover over the releases below that, they will be highlighted in a reddish / burgandy.

More important though, and what probably confuses most people, is understanding the version descriptors, in that you can't just go by the numbers.
* 9.0.4 (no descriptor) =
STABLE - These releases are stable public releases.

* 9.0.5-rc-1 =
RC - Short for "Release Candidate", these releases are feature complete and have been made public to allow LiveCode developers to test whether they think the release is stable. Users who find bugs can file them at https://quality.livecode.com.
* 9.5.0-dp-1 =
DP - Short for "Developer Preview", these releases are not feature complete and are likely to contain bugs. They have been made public to allow LiveCode developers to experiment with the latest features and give feedback to the team. Users who find bugs can file them at https://quality.livecode.com.
Hopefully, this helps out future visitors.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”