Help with creating basic flow-charting app

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Dondi

Help with creating basic flow-charting app

Post by Dondi » Mon May 18, 2009 5:17 am

Hello,

Warning: I am a Total Rev Newbie

I recently purchased Revolution Studio and am coming up to speed with its unique programming paradigm.

I want to dive in and improve my proficiency by creating a basic flow-charting app.

The app will consist of a canvas plus a limited set of resize-able objects that will reside in a "tools" container.

These objects can be selected, dragged onto the canvas, and connected to each other using a "connector" object -- either straight or right-angled lines.

That's it.

I have been searching the forums and the web for pointers on how to start; but while I have found many related posts, I have not found enough to get me started.

I would appreciate any pointers to example stacks or tutorials on how to approach/get started on this app.

Thanks in advance!

Dondi.

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Mon May 18, 2009 9:30 am

Hi Dondi,

Is this what you would like to make? ;-)

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Dondi

Post by Dondi » Mon May 18, 2009 12:46 pm

Kind of, but not exactly. I need something less generalized, and more application-specific. Which is why I'm trying to build it myself.

Your app certainly encompasses the capabilities that I would need to implement though. Are you using a "component" stack to realize the drawing/graphic object management and manipulation, or is it a "custom-built" stack?

Any pointers to a relevant tutorial or demo stack?

Thanks,

Dondi.

Dondi

Post by Dondi » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:27 am

OK. I have decided to just jump into Rev Studio and claw my way to completing this app (hopefully with some help from the community).

Here is the general approach that I am thinking of pursuing:

The app will consist of a main window containing the drawing "canvas" and a tools window (palette) containing the "drawing tools".

Clicking on a drawing tool in the palette will allow the corresponding shape to be added to the "canvas" window.

So, I started by creating:

1. A Mainstack containing the "canvas"
2. A Substack containing the tools palette

However, I closed the substack and now cannot figure out how to show it again so that I can edit it.

I am stuck and would appreciate some guidance on how to reload the substack so that I can continue to build out the UI. I have looked through all of the menus and searched the forum for help, but no joy.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Dondi.

keyless

Post by keyless » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:49 am

Open it from Application Browser.

Dondi

Post by Dondi » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:10 pm

keyless wrote:Open it from Application Browser.
Thanks keyless!

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”