LiveCode Messaging Demo

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

dave.kilroy
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

LiveCode Messaging Demo

Post by dave.kilroy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:35 pm

I developed a Messaging demo app for a recent LiveCode workshop I organised with @THINQTANQ (http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.ph ... 65#p126665) and am releasing it now as a learning resource (it's definitely not a finished app)

It's functional but is missing lots of polish (it had to be doable for participants to make in a day) - and this is what it looks like:
messages-code-and-devices-750.png
This is a very bad introduction video I recorded for it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RetBteT2OfA

And this is where you can get it's Learning Resources Folder (current version is 0.0.4, I'll keep updating this link with the latest version):
LearningResources.zip
(27.31 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
Most of the code for the GUI came from Ben Beaumont's 'nine-way-stretch' stack (http://livecode.com/livecode-7-0/) and in the way I organised the stack (layered, API) I was attempting to channel Ian McPhail.

Please report any bugs you find and/or any extra functionality you add to it here so we can all see

EDIT: the stackfiles in the Learning Resource were made with LiveCode 7.0.5 - but if you want to use an older version of LiveCode I think it would all work except for centerRect and iconGravity (both introduced in 6.7) that are used in the behaviour button...

Kind regards

Dave
Last edited by dave.kilroy on Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"...this is not the code you are looking for..."

FourthWorld

Re: LiveCode Messaging Demo

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:08 pm

Wonderful stuff, Dave! Thanks for posting that.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

dave.kilroy

Post by dave.kilroy » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:43 am

Thanks Richard, a pleasure to contribute as I have read and downloaded so much from others...
FourthWorld wrote:Wonderful stuff, Dave! Thanks for posting that.
Forgot to say - I've just uploaded version 0.0.3 which is available from the same download link above (I'll keep updating that link rather than adding new ones...)

dave.kilroy

Post by dave.kilroy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:42 pm

Hi all - just realised that I never updated the demo LiveCode Server script in the 'LearningResources.zip' archive since I moved to www.hostm.com! So if you wish to continue messin' about with this messaging demo stack please download it again from the first post in this thread

ajperks

Post by ajperks » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:54 am

I saw this video on YouTube and downloaded the stacks. I took a quick look at the complete stack and wondered if there had been any more work done on it.
There are aspects of the app that might fit with a social app I have been working on.
Thank you.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”