Script errors window blank

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Wally
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Script errors window blank

Post by Wally » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:29 pm

When a script has an error, the script errors window pops up but it's blank. If I try to select the "invisible text" in the window, it hilites an area but no text is visible. When I click on the script btn on the bottom of the window, it doesn't take me to the script with the problem. (Livecode 6.6.2)

dunbarx

Re: Script errors window blank

Post by dunbarx » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:07 am

Hi.

Blank??

What does the titlebar of that window say? It should give the full pathname of the object which threw the error.

Craig Newman

Wally

Post by Wally » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:37 am

The title bar says ""Errors"' that's all. The fld in the window contains no text, usually it describes the error.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:39 pm

What sort of object contains the erroneous script: a button, a field, a graphic, . . . ?

I would like to try and reduplicate this, so I can see if I understand what is going on.

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:49 pm

This can happen when the engine can't run the script but it also can't identify the error. These are hard to track down. It can happen if you're trying to run a saved script that wasn't compiled, or when there's a syntax error the engine can't identify.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:38 pm

"It can happen if you're trying to run a saved script that wasn't compiled"

Um . . . I thought that, with Livecode, as soon as one saved a script it compiled, or
"threw a bluey" . . .

So, how can one run a non-compiled script?

Probably a pretty naive question, but as you know, Jacque, I have been "gracing" RunRev's various
forums and use-lists with my naive questions for about 14-15 years: so cannot see any real reason
why I should stop now.

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:07 pm

Don't stop asking, we wouldn't recognize you if you did.

If a script won't compile, and you save the stack anyway, the script remains uncompiled the next time you open the stack. In some cases the engine can't even recognize the exact error, though usually it can give you a clue.

Wally

Post by Wally » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:11 pm

This reverrorDisplay stack issue is not a problem with my intstall of Livecode 6.6.2.

NEW stacks created with a script error in a btn(for testing purposes) produce the proper display/behavior in the reverrorDisplay debugger stack.

Example.
executing at 1:01:39 PM
Type Handler: can't find handler
Object Button
Line hgjhfhh
Hint hgjhfhh

Clicking on a FIELD with a known script error in my PROBLEM stack during the same session brings up the reverrorDisplay with the same error for the BUTTON in the newly created stack:

executing at 1:01:39 PM
Type Handler: can't find handler
Object Button
Line hgjhfhh
Hint hgjhfhh

Quitting, opening just the PROBLEM stack and clicking on the fld with the bad script produces a blank reverrorDisplay with a "disabled" script btn.

The stack that is giving me problems is an OLD resurrected stack I'm updating. Could this be a stack file format or "old" controls issue?

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:36 pm

OH.

Is this that small dialog that comes up asking to "reLoad" or "cancel" the script of an object, that, like Jacque mentioned, can occur in odd sequences of saving, closing tabs, or whatever? I thought we were looking at a corrupt debugger window.

Craig

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:22 pm

dunbarx wrote:Is this that small dialog that comes up asking to "reLoad" or "cancel" the script of an object, that, like Jacque mentioned, can occur in odd sequences of saving, closing tabs, or whatever? I thought we were looking at a corrupt debugger window.
That's a different thing, I was talking about the normal error dialog. It's very rare that it is ever blank but I've seen it. In much earlier versions of LC it used to throw the first error in the errors list if it couldn't find a match. I mentioned that in one of my conference talks (this was maybe 10 years ago) and saw Kevin write it down; after that it apparently got changed because now it's just blank (error = 0.) I think that's good, because the original way caused you to chase a nonexistent problem.

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:38 am

Wally - what a great problem! I'd love to see the problem stack - is that something you can post publicly here? I've never seen a blank error display like that and I'd be really interested in seeing how that's being caused. Is the IDE still usable (not completely hung) at the point of the error? Are you locking messages/errors?

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”