Screen Size

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

trailboss

Screen Size

Post by trailboss » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:55 pm

I'm making a fairly simple app and eventually I will want to make some mobile device versions. Before I get to that point, I wanted to know what screen size for my desktop application is best to start with so that converting to the smaller-screen-size mobile apps will be easiest. I want a rather large-sized screen for the desktop apps.

Thanks,

Tom

jmburnod
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Screen Size

Post by jmburnod » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:04 pm

Hi Tom,
Thomas McGrathIII made a stack useful for you
You can download it from ReOnline
Search "Lazy River Software - IOS"
Best regards
Jean-Marc
https://alternatic.ch

trailboss

Post by trailboss » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:13 pm

Well, that looks like a very helpful stack. When I make a stack with it, however, it seems to make a copy of itself nothing more, just without the buttons. Perhaps I need to have the mobile app-making software?

In the meantime, I'd like to find the best screen size for an app that will fit on the screens of smaller laptops big desktops and the like. There's a stack to do it, but it sizes the screen with no "furniture." It's fullscreen and I can't even proceed that way as I have no menus.

Tom

Simon

Post by Simon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:38 pm

Hi Tom,
Have you worked with the "resizeStack" message yet?
Plenty of resources in the lessons and beginners course.
I think that by setting up your stack and dragging it's size up and down by the corners is a great way to check for desktop and the smaller mobile devices screens, portrait and landscape.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

trailboss

Post by trailboss » Fri May 10, 2013 11:23 pm

Yes, I've done the basic course with the TickedOff stack, but that would be a lot of resizing script for me because I have a lot more buttons and fields. I found a stack called GeomScript.rev that simplifies everything and is a good alternative to the geometry manager or so they say. Only it doesn't really have any step-by-step directions and the stack by Thomas McGrathill has no directions either, so I'm really stuck for how to begin with either of them.

Simon

Post by Simon » Sat May 11, 2013 3:45 am

Hi Tom,
I hadn't seen that GeomScript.rev stack before. Here is the link:
http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-l ... 33456.html
I've not tried it yet but Sarah's code is very good.

Here is my attempt:
http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... =8&t=14859
It's pretty simple to use and I think you can follow how it's done. It does everything on the card at 1 time so even with a bunch of buttons it shouldn't be a problem.
There are other more advanced links to tools on that page.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

trailboss

Post by trailboss » Tue May 21, 2013 12:07 am

Simon,
This is so much simpler. Thank you. It gets a lot of the job done with ease.
Tom

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”