still looking for a good language reference guide

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

kirbyglad

still looking for a good language reference guide

Post by kirbyglad » Sun May 26, 2013 5:03 am

The online dictionary has the same flaw as every dictionary- you have to know what to look up.

For example, I want to know my options for commenting code. I put "comments" in the dictionary search, and I get no matches.

Really? That is a pretty important and universal need.

It would be great if the dictionary search could return searches based on attributes of the dictionary entry, and not just the language item.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: still looking for a good language reference guide

Post by FourthWorld » Sun May 26, 2013 5:42 am

Have you read the User Guide?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Sun May 26, 2013 11:09 am

Hi,

You are absolutely right and you describe the problem accurately: you need to know what you want to look up. As you must have been thinking already, if you know what you want to look up, then usually you don't need to look it up anymore.

An alternative to the built-in dictionary is Björnke's BvG Docu. It has full-text search, which means that you don't need to know what you're searching for. Just enter something like "field" and you get all entries that involve fields.

If you open the user guide in a PDF reader with search features, you can easily do a full text search on it.

On a side note, although my book is available as a real book only, it comes with a 9 page index, allowing you to find hundreds of subjects for which you can't search in the original dictionary.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Traxgeek

Post by Traxgeek » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:53 am

Hi Mark,

Your book looks great - well done. Don't suppose you're going to make it available as an e-book though are you ?
All manuals like this one looks to be are a fantastic knowledge base to all users up to and above intermediate. I generally find that it's best to source (and have available on my desk) at least 2 or 3 of them if possible - generally what's 'missing' in one can be found in another and all-in-all one can save hours just having them available !

KirbyGlad is right - I had precisely the same issue ! And continue to have it with respect to the properties associated with a particular control... never mind...

Regards.
I'm 'getting there'... just far too slowly !
Mac (Siera) and PC (Win7)
LiveCode 8.1.2 / 7.1.1

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:57 pm

If you go through the Preferences option when you set up Livecode

Edit/Preferences and go to 'Script Editor' (fifth from the top) down the bottom

there's an option 'Comment using' and you can choose between -- , # and //

so no documentation needed on that one at least.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”