Menu Builder Puzzle

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

kpeters

Menu Builder Puzzle

Post by kpeters » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:23 pm

Hmm - what am I missing...??

My first attempt at menu building under OS X:

I create a default menu for the current stack and check both "Preview in Menu Bar" & "Set as Menu Bar on OS X". Now I see File, Edit & Help next to the Apple logo and the Revolution menu - so far - so good.

Menu Builder shows me that I should have:
New, Open, Close, a separator bar and Quit under the File menu.

When I click on File on the System caption bar (does it have an official name I don't know yet?) I only see New, Open, Close - basically everything up to the separator but not the separator or anything below.

The same goes for the other two menus: under Edit I am missing Preferences and under Help I don't see About....

Can someone explain?

Also, I gather from the docs that these menus are (can be?) stack specific. What if I just want a menu that's the same throughout my whole application? Where does it go?

TIA
Kai

BvG
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by BvG » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:45 am

menu handling in rev is very bad and confusing. However this particular confusion comes from the OS, as Mac OS X has special places for these menu items, and thus rev moves them automatically around (they show up under the application menu (which has the name of your application)).

Oh, and surprisingly, the bar that shows the menus is called menubar :-P
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

Klaus

Re: Menu Builder Puzzle

Post by Klaus » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:21 pm

kpeters wrote:Hmm - what am I missing...??

Also, I gather from the docs that these menus are (can be?) stack specific. What if I just want a menu that's the same throughout my whole application? Where does it go?

TIA
Kai
Please check the "defaultmenubar" property in the docs, that is what you are looking for in this case.

You should set it "on pre/openstack" of you mainstack/standalone.

Regards

Klaus

kpeters

Post by kpeters » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:40 pm

Thanks Klaus - exactly what I was looking for.

BvG ~ I guess I should have been more clear on the fact that I was referring to being in the IDE.

Was it naive of me to assume that checking "Preview in Menu Bar" would allow me to see the menu I am building from within the IDE?

Kai

BvG

Post by BvG » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:57 am

As far as I understood you, you did see the menu exactly as it would show in your application.

And if that wasn't the case, it's runrev's fault, never yours.
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”