custom keyboard

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

wmiriye

custom keyboard

Post by wmiriye » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:54 pm

I would like to create a custom keyboard for android phones that could be used in addition to the default one. this keyboard should be able to input chars for any apps on the phone. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Klaus

Re: custom keyboard

Post by Klaus » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:39 pm

Hi wmiriye,
wmiriye wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:54 pm
I would like to create a custom keyboard for android phones that could be used in addition to the default one.
this may be possible with LC.
wmiriye wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:54 pm
this keyboard should be able to input chars for any apps on the phone.
That is not supported, your keyboard will only work in your LC standalone.
For system-wide support/access you will need to programm the keyboard in JAVA or whatever.

Best

Klaus

Xero

Post by Xero » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:00 pm

I just wrote a keyboard that inputs plaintext into one field and equivalent morse code in another.
It wasn't hard, just laborious to put "put {char} into field [Fieldname]" for each character. I actually did it all in a stack script so it was all in one place. Included a backspace button that "delete char -1 of filed [fieldname]". Morse code function took a little while longer to script because of the extra characters...
As for using it universally, I would defer to other's comments. This will be of use for the app only.
X

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:05 pm

That is entirely possible, my Devawriter Pro relies on bespoke keyboard layouts to do its magic in ancient Indian languages.

But, I do not think it is possible to make a keyboard layout in LiveCode that will function in other apps.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”