Open Source Licenses.txt Where can I get this

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jameshale
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Open Source Licenses.txt Where can I get this

Post by jameshale » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:42 pm

Hi
The EULA from the Website says that as well as mention of LC in your copyright and credits ...
You must also include the file “Open Source Licenses.txt” within any created software.
Does anyone have a copy of this they can send me to point me to link?

A search on LC's website only turns up the various EULAs that mention the file but do not provide a copy or link.

James

stam

Re: Open Source Licenses.txt Where can I get this

Post by stam » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:59 pm

Hi James,

Is this still the case with the new licensing scheme and LiveCode disavowing opensource altogether?

I have some vague recollection the FOSS licence used was GPL-3 (might be wrong however).

In any case, you can find all opensource licences here:

https://gist.github.com/nicolasdao/a7ad ... a633#3-gpl

jameshale

Post by jameshale » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:28 pm

The line I quoted is from the current EULA for licensed i.e commercial versions (not GPL) of LC.
There is no indication as to which open source license is meant.
I get the impression that they (LC) meant to have a link on their page here but omitted it.
I have asked support but have not heard back.

stam

Post by stam » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:46 pm

Sorry James, i missread/misunderstood your OP...
jameshale wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:28 pm
The line I quoted is from the current EULA for licensed i.e commercial versions (not GPL) of LC.
There is no indication as to which open source license is meant.
I get the impression that they (LC) meant to have a link on their page here but omitted it.
I have asked support but have not heard back.
I never noticed that before, so i looked it up (found it under the Help menu -> licence agreement)
The relevant text is below (emphasis mine):
APPENDIX A - Required Copyright Notice

You must include the following copyright notice where other such notices appear. In the event that such other notices do not appear in the Created Software, this notice must be placed in a reasonable location.

Built with LiveCode. Portions Copyright (C) 2000-2021 LiveCode Ltd, All Rights Reserved Worldwide.

In common with many other platforms the LiveCode Software uses open source software to deliver some functionality. You must also include the file "Open Source Licenses.txt" within any created software. This may be included within your About screen, as a file within the folder structure of a desktop app or in another accessible location.

We would like you to include the LiveCode Ltd logo, as per the terms set on our website. However, unlike the Copyright notices above, you are not required to include the logo.
Edited response: On re-reading this, you are entirely right, LiveCode has included opensource components in their IDE and they therefore include a licence file for these, and this needs to be included in any software created.

In LiveCode, the text of the file "Open Source Licenses.txt" appears in the 'About' window, in the 'legal' section.
The actual file is located within the app bundle on Mac at:

Code: Select all

/<app bundle>/Contents/Tools/Open Source Licenses.txt
I presume it's in equivalent locations on other platforms.

Admittedly NOT the easiest file to find. Also, as an interesting side note, the slow scrolling of the About window's text means that no one will actually read the entire file, it was interesting to see how many and which components were FOSS.
My copy is attached...
Attachments
Open Source Licenses.txt.zip
(11.78 KiB) Downloaded 102 times

jameshale

Post by jameshale » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:11 pm

Thank you so much Stam :D
I looked at the repository in case it was there, I never thought to look in LC itself. Brilliant.
James

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”