DataGrid Helper 2.5 Preview

Moderators: heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller, Zryip TheSlug

teriibi

Re: DataGrid Helper 2.5 Preview

Post by teriibi » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:31 am

..if any extra empty line meant for Category ordering is ever possible (!!!)
Would be a BIG PLUS
:1) saves column number.
2) Makes content presentation even clearer. (*see : Food types / Car brands )

...well better stop now with great idea´s list !
:x :x :x
Attachments
cat grouping 2.png
cat grouping 2.png (6.65 KiB) Viewed 9332 times
cat grouping.png
cat grouping.png (10.45 KiB) Viewed 9332 times

Zryip TheSlug
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Zryip TheSlug » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:05 am

teriibi wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:15 am
Sure looks really cool, already can see how I could use it... :idea: :wink:
..if then condition ...Col1 = Col2 + Col3 possible ?
..and count too ?!
(number of items in a column based on criteria count text, count numbers, count empty space., null...)
This is something to consider, but I have not the pretension to reinvent Excel or the rGrid control :), just to implement some script for doing basic calculation based of the feedbacks I received from DGH users.
But thanks for the suggestions. Will thought to this.
teriibi wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:15 am
PS: if for small devices screen, I bet the navigation buttons would be very usefull. especially if you can freeze the first(s) columns (as well as the horizontal - Title line) :wink: :idea:
i.e, first column has students name : next columns on the rights side , contains notes for each month.
(scroll datas to the right...to see each month..Last column, sums up anual Average/number of exams yearly.
Originally the datagrid control has been developed for displaying datagrid records, not for creating spreadsheet, so freezing a column is not something we can do by using the datagrid API. This is like trying to fly with a car... This may possible with numerous workarounds but the result is not really convincing and safe.
However, for a DGH user I demonstrated a solution based on 2 synchronized datagrids, one emulating the freeze pane.
Freezing column.png
I'm not sure this is the better solution for accomplishing the task but this was a solution.
teriibi wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:34 am
Would it be possible to customize a partial editing on selected columns like in 1 or 2 columns only.
In the datagrid API we have a property for locking columns (set the dgColumnIsEditable["Col 1"] of grp "datagrid 1" to false), so this is already possible without the need of DGH.
teriibi wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:31 am
..if any extra empty line meant for Category ordering is ever possible (!!!)
DGH Properties Palette.png
DGH is using a datagrid table with two visible columns for displaying properties sorted by categories. At this time I've not found the convenient approach for translating this in a DGH features. Maybe one day when I will be inspired....

Anyway thanks for your suggestions Teriibi!
TheSlug
http://www.aslugontheroad.com - Tutorials, demo stacks and plugins for LiveCode
Data Grid Helper - An intuitive interface for building LiveCode's Data Grids
Excel Library- Extends the LiveCode language for controlling MS Excel

teriibi

Post by teriibi » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:54 pm

Your welcome ,
Ive no programing background but I guess that adding a Category feature to a DataGrid view,
is like, Hiding the first column content / selecting the first value of each group / Display this value on top of the other columns content...and Voila ! :lol:
...how easy it is to code that - I have no clue about that !
Rrrrrsss :mrgreen:
Attachments
cat group .png
cat group .png (28.41 KiB) Viewed 9295 times

mrcoollion

Post by mrcoollion » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:51 am

Looking good,
Hope you are making good progress.
If you need someone to test let me know :mrgreen:

Kind regards,

Paul

Zryip TheSlug

Post by Zryip TheSlug » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:24 pm

Paul,

I'm still in the process to improve DGH, to test it and to provide a convenient documentation before the final release.

I've just finished to add a "Columns Picker" working with the new "Search / find" feature.
Attachments
Columns Picker Preview.png
TheSlug

karmacomposer

Post by karmacomposer » Fri May 18, 2018 2:39 pm

I have a very specific need to use a datagrid like a spreadsheet or least create it to look exactly like a excel spreadsheet made to look like a insurance form. Could I use the new version of Datagrid helper to make the datagrid look like the excel spreadsheet in question and then turn it into a working form?

How can I upgrade datagrid helper to the newest version? I bought it a while ago with a bundle.

Mike

Zryip TheSlug

Post by Zryip TheSlug » Sat May 19, 2018 11:29 am

Mike,

What an embarrassing situation:
- first, we are very close to the final release: the new features are developed, the opened beta is closed, the new documentation and lessons are ready. But the version is not available yet because we have not the Upgrade in the LiveCode store at this very moment.
- second, I kept aside the spreadsheet behavior we discussed here (opening a cell in one click and navigate through cells with the keyboard) because I have thought this was very specific and like I described in one of the post: this is like to try flying with a car. This is possible, but for flying a plane is more adapted. What about rGrid for example?

https://livecode.com/products/thirdpart ... rid-1-5-0/

Even if we might do the following list with DGH (if I'm including the last two points in the final 2.5 release)
- you could have columns named with letter (this is easiest to have them existing in the datagrid than created on the fly like in Excel)
- you could create a first column with the number of the lines
- you could have basic formulae (operation on columns only)
- you could format numbers
- you could edit a cell in one click
- you could navigate through cells with keyboard

You will never have an active cell, no formulae bar, rows are only existing if they are created at some point by anticipation, etc.

So using a datagrid in the hope to turn it in an Excel spreadsheet is not a good idea, in my opinion. For sure, you could have some result depending of your needs but you will never get Excel.

Now to be back to your need: if you want to have something looking like an "insurance form" you have probably not the need to have the datagrid looking exaclty like Excel or I don't see what is the "insurance form" you are trying to implement.
You will probably have the need for editing cells in one click, formulae for subtotals and totals, so some columns with formulae and a grand total line you could have outside of the datagrid. What over?

In this case a datagrid is a possibility and DGH could help you. Especially if I'm including the scripts I have kept for maybe a futur release. Let me know and I will see what I can do.
TheSlug

Zryip TheSlug

Post by Zryip TheSlug » Sat May 19, 2018 5:16 pm

I don't know if this will be useful for someone, but the DGH 2.5 final release is now including a "SpreadSheet Behaviors" topic with two items:
- one for changing the custom default behavior to have the cell opened in one click instead of a double click
- and the other one for changing the custom field editor behavior to have navigation through cells possible by using keyboard (tab and arrowkeys).
Attachments
SpreadSheetBehavior.png
TheSlug

Return to “Data Grid Helper”