lcVCS crash

A place to discuss Version Control in LiveCode

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

tfreulon

lcVCS crash

Post by tfreulon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:20 pm

Hello,

I've got quite a big Livecode application, and with my team we would like to maintain it with git. That's why I installed lcVCS (rc1 version) and tried to export/import the whole application.

However, there is like 20 scripts to order and I'm not quite sure of the order. But even with very few of them, after exporting them with the plugin, the livecode crash when I "import to stackFiles":

Code: Select all

/opt/runrev/livecodecommunity-7.0.2-rc-2\ \(x86\)/livecodecommunity.i386 exiting on signal 11
And that's it, I don't even have a clue how to resolve this. I've tried many combinations, some work and some doesn't without making any sense to me.
Does this problem have already happened? Is there anyway to better understand the bug?

Thanks

mwieder
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: lcVCS crash

Post by mwieder » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:28 pm

I do remember having to recompile lcVCS for my linux system before I could use it properly. I don't quite remember why, but I'm on a 64-bit system, so that may have been it, and may not be the problem. But you might try that and see if it fixes the segfault. Otherwise I'll let Monte comment here.

tfreulon

Post by tfreulon » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:41 am

Alas I'm on a 32-bit Linux system (since I've tried without success to run the application through 3 different 64-bit distribution)

tfreulon

Post by tfreulon » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:30 pm

No ideas? ...Such a shame that it is so hard to work on Livecode with source control :/

monte

Post by monte » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:26 pm

Sorry for the slow reply. lcVCS being just a set of stacks can't crash. It is very good at finding crashing bugs in the engine though. Could you upgrade to the latest version of LC as there have been many issues resolved in the engine since 7.0.2.

Cheers

Monte
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:34 pm

Monte-

Yes, but it was mergJSON that I had to recompile to work on my linux system. And iirc that's a requirement for lcVCS.

monte

Post by monte » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:19 am

Oh, previously it was only available on linux for 32 bit but it is now also available as 64 bit.

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:59 pm

Oh, cool. Yeah, that's why I had to build it locally back in the day.

monte

Post by monte » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:08 pm

BTW I had a play with Travis CI the other day and now all I need to do is push a tag to github and Travis CI will add the linux 64 bit build as a version. It's pretty cool. Pity I can't build for all the platforms on Travis CI...

tfreulon

Post by tfreulon » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:56 am

Well there's indeed the possibility to upgrade Livecode but I don't think I could do that the project I'm in. I admit I didn't think about this because lcVCS is not up to date with the Livecode 8.0 version.
In the meantime I found a half solution : since I can export without problems, I commit .rev,.livecode and script.utf8 given by lcVCS. Then when I change something, I have a clue of what changes I have done with the script.utf8 files, even if I can't use the import mechanism. It's the best I have found :/

monte

Post by monte » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:53 pm

What is stopping you upgrading from 7.0.2 RC2 to 7.1? There's lots of fixed bugs you are missing out on. I must admit I don't spend much time in LiveCode on linux so I may not be aware of blocker bugs for upgrading... The early 7 releases weren't all that stable though.

My recommendation these days is to move as much code as is feasible to script only stacks. You can use these for behaviors too so it would be entirely feasible to not have any code at all in a stack file. lcVCS is still valuable for version control on the UI though.

LCMark
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCMark » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:28 pm

@monte: Re Travis CI - this limitation of Travis is why we had to implement our own continuation integration and build facility 'vulcan'. (Peter hooked up Travis for the engine shortly after joining us).

monte

Post by monte » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:45 pm

@LCMark I figured that. I had a difficult time just trying to get Travis to build 32 bit in addition to 64 bit linux so I just gave up and did the 64 bit build. They do have some facility in beta for multiple OS but I don't think Windows is included.

Return to “Version Control”