Looking for a volunteer...

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bogs

Looking for a volunteer...

Post by bogs » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:00 pm

... or possibly 'guinea pig' might have been a better way of putting it. I took some time today and created a standalone that should *theoretically* work on a Pi.

I did not use the normal methods to do so. Unfortunately, I don't have a Pi to test it with, so I am hoping someone will step up and test it for me. This is a curiousity thing on my part, but, if it works it *may* be of interest to others. Of course, it *may* not either, I guess it depends on the person.

Anyway, if you feel like participating (the more the merrier as it were), you can download the exe file here. Just unzip it anywhere on an arm based Pi and try to run it.

Feel free to write here whether it worked or not, soon as I get a response I'll put more details of what I was testing.

Thank you for your time, whoever (and however many) you are :D

[-hh]
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Looking for a volunteer...

Post by [-hh] » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:53 pm

You can emulate a Raspi (of course not the peripheral things) on your machine ...
There are a lot of tutorials about that online (use Quemu).
shiftLock happens

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:06 pm

That is true, but I am trying to cut down on the number of things I have to diagnose if it failed to start, i.e. true hardware vs. emulated through software hardware. I've had similar issues crop up when I was using solely delphi and running the results through WINE (which worked suprisingly well for pure delphi exes).

The exe that is up for testing is a simple hello program, the two 'nix variations I made at the same time worked ok on my machine, but that was expected of course. I don't have a real arm device to test on, so the request.

vascoribeiro

Post by vascoribeiro » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:14 am

I will try in a second. ;)

EDIT:
Ok, here is my result...

pi@raspberrypi:~/Desktop/helloTest $ sudo chmod +x Rasberry_Hello
pi@raspberrypi:~/Desktop/helloTest $ ./Rasberry_Hello
Startup error - unrecognized section encountered

My equipment:
Pi 2 Model B v1.1
Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

- I may have been doing something wrong due to my lack of experience with the Pi... :|

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:18 pm

I don't think you did anything wrong at all, the first attempt I expected to fail.

If you don't mind trying again, I've changed what I expected to cause it to fail and put up a new version.

Thank you again for the attempt(s).

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:52 pm

I have a Pi but it's 545 miles from here. When I get back home I will try it out. If I remember.

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:53 pm

Thank you in advance, SparkOut, it may mean a lot to others that actually develop for Pi :D

vascoribeiro

Post by vascoribeiro » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:17 pm

bogs wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:18 pm
I don't think you did anything wrong at all, the first attempt I expected to fail.

If you don't mind trying again, I've changed what I expected to cause it to fail and put up a new version.

Thank you again for the attempt(s).
It didn't work again... :(

What I now do to run is:
Save as standalone in ARMv6-HF
then just cd to the directory where the app is and sudo ./app_name

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:22 pm

Hm.
vascoribeiro wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:17 pm
This particular file shouldn't have to be saved as anything, it should be an executable on Pi?

All you should have to do is save it to your say, desktop from within the OS of the Pi, then open the folder and click on it. Or I don't understand what is happening at all :wink:

vascoribeiro

Post by vascoribeiro » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:47 pm

bogs wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:22 pm
Hm.
vascoribeiro wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:17 pm
This particular file shouldn't have to be saved as anything, it should be an executable on Pi?

All you should have to do is save it to your say, desktop from within the OS of the Pi, then open the folder and click on it. Or I don't understand what is happening at all :wink:
Yep, I wished It was like that...
I click on it and it asks if I want to execute or go to the terminal. Nothing happens both ways and it have the "open with" defined to add remove software...

:?

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:06 pm

Ok, then I will say that sounds like a fail, it should allow you to execute it. I've given it one more shot, If this fails I'll lay out the experiment I was performing, maybe someone with more knowledge than I have about the internal workings of Lc can explain the failure.

Here is the re-saved version. Last one I promise :D

vascoribeiro

Post by vascoribeiro » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:48 pm

bogs wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:06 pm
Ok, then I will say that sounds like a fail, it should allow you to execute it. I've given it one more shot, If this fails I'll lay out the experiment I was performing, maybe someone with more knowledge than I have about the internal workings of Lc can explain the failure.

Here is the re-saved version. Last one I promise :D
Strangely enough, couldn't open it anyway I tried. Not even with sudo, it only gives me this:

"Startup error - unrecognized section encountered"
:|

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:09 pm

Thank you for all the efforts vascoribeiro, I think it is safe to say I need a far deeper understanding of how Lc ties engines to stacks :oops:

As promised, here is the full layout of the experiment I was performing, which I'm sure someone else may have tried previously, but I never was able to locate any information about. That may just mean I'm a big enough idiot to embarrass myself publicly a lot :twisted:

Back when I was trying to figure the Mc IDE out, I managed to score almost all of the remaining build platforms. I found that I could move them all over, and still use them to compile Mc programs regardless of the version of the IDE I was using. This is probably not news to almost anyone who was working with it back then, a boat I missed so I am playing catch up as it were.

My thoughts said that if I could do it in Mc, it *might* work in Lc, so my first trial was to move the arm engine to 6.5.2. Of course, the 6.5.2 builder program didn't see the addition in the linux panel, so I reversed course, and moved it to 8.0.1, which did see the engine folder and added the entry for it in the builder settings...
Selection_002.png
Builder settings 8.0.1...
The first stack I posted here for testing I expected failure on because I hadn't changed anything during the save of the stack, i.e. it was saved in 8.x format, and was attached to a 7.x engine, which would never be able to run it.

For the 2nd test, I saved it from inside 8 as a legacy 7 stack, which I thought *might* work as the 7.x ide could now open it, and so the engine should be able to run it. Unfortunately, that didn't work either.

The last test you ran for me was using the 8.x ide to save the stack back to 5.5 format, which was going to be the best shot at having this work, and then saving it out to a standalone from within the 8.x IDE, but I guess I am just missing some key(s) for this puzzle.

My ultimate thought was that even though I don't develop for Pi, and generally avoid the later IDEs like the plague, if it worked, people that like using the newer IDEs might be able to skate by till they have a working solution for those later IDEs (I think v10 was brought up).

I certainly want to thank all of you who participated in this without knowing the beginning or end goal again, it was for me a valuable contribution of your time, and it is really appreciated :D

vascoribeiro

Post by vascoribeiro » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:43 pm

You'r welcome, I like to be of some help in here since most (if not all) of the times I'm being helped out in here :lol:

I also think that some of the trouble in using standalone software from Lc in RPi may be due to the Linux...

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:57 pm

Hey, I know how that feels. The greater bulk of my earlier posts were "HUH?" in concept :wink:

Having said that, it is really gracious to devote time and hardware to a project not your own. I know I should just man up the $30 (or whatever) dollars and get a Pi, but I am going to be moving soon and don't want to have to carry even something that small extra. (in the middle of vacating stuff at the moment, I don't want to give the wife reason to put me in the farm as it were :twisted: )

Hope you and yours (and everyone else that comes by) has a great (and safe) New Years holiday :mrgreen:

Return to “Raspberry Pi”