Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Call for Community Team Members for RPi build

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:44 am

PaulDaMacMan wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:07 am
It would be great for long-term if there was a Arm64bit build of LC >8, preferably 9.x, with LiveCode Builder with FFI, and with some elbow grease, LC on RPi could be expanded to use a bunch of those great libraries in those Repos, like HIDAPI libFluidSynth (both of which I already made LCB wrappers for) would be very useful on a LC "10ft interface" running on Pi
^ this.

And LC 9 is so much faster than 7. And with more new stuff, and so many bug fixes...

If only we could find someone with the patience to sift through the dependencies to sort out that compile. If we could find someone with the mix of skills and patience I'll bet we could take up a collection to make it worth their while...
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

PaulDaMacMan

Re: Call for Community Team Members for RPi build

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:26 am

FourthWorld wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:44 am
PaulDaMacMan wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:07 am
It would be great for long-term if there was a Arm64bit build of LC >8, preferably 9.x, with LiveCode Builder with FFI, and with some elbow grease, LC on RPi could be expanded to use a bunch of those great libraries in those Repos, like HIDAPI libFluidSynth (both of which I already made LCB wrappers for) would be very useful on a LC "10ft interface" running on Pi
^ this.

And LC 9 is so much faster than 7. And with more new stuff, and so many bug fixes...

If only we could find someone with the patience to sift through the dependencies to sort out that compile. If we could find someone with the mix of skills and patience I'll bet we could take up a collection to make it worth their while...
I think RPi and LC would be a match made in Heaven. Indeed playing around with this Pi3B+ for awhile now, it takes me back to the Mac 512KE days, pushing it to see what it's capable of, which is quite a bit (maybe with some tweeks or a "Just-Enough-OS" setup for resource intensive things)... and the Pi 4 is twice as fast.
I wonder if maybe RPi Foundation would throw some of that non-profit money at a project like that, if someone talked to them about it? I'd try to build LC for Pi myself but I think that's out of my league.
Side-Thought: I could possibly build that Just-Enough-OS-to-run-LiveCode Raspbian distro, like so the Pi boots directly into LiveCode and runs stacks in a folder maybe? Then you could use LC to develop your "Appliance" application and frontend GUI for that tiny touch screen HAT board or whatever), but that's not going to be nearly as useful without newer a LC Pi build that can do LCB with FFI.
My GitHub Repos: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/
Related YouTube Videos: PlayList

Return to “Raspberry Pi”