Install LC 6.5.1 and 7.0.4 on Raspberry Pi 3

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

[-hh]
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Install LC 6.5.1 and 7.0.4 on Raspberry Pi 3

Post by [-hh] » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:57 pm

[[Sadly it's still true (couldn't find a solution for that):
LC 6.5.1 and 7.04 don't work any more with the NOOBS standard installation (Raspbian Jessie).
For Raspberry 2 this is no problem since the 2015 version Raspbian Wheezy still runs stable on it and LC works with that. But Raspberry 3 (and RaspberryZero?) are not supported any more by Raspbian Wheezy.
The following may also work for the Raspberry Pi 2. But I'm not sure about the support of peripherie -- I didn't test this variant until now.]]

Searching for another solution for Raspberry Pi 3 B, I succeeded with

Ubuntu 15.10 MATE.

There is a made-with-love version for Raspi 3 available at https://www.raspberrypi.org, only the on-board-bluetooth is (not yet) supported, the on-board WIFI module works already.

I runs fine, I like that even more than Raspbian. Disadvantage: Mathematica 10.3 is only available for Raspbian -- I really can't understand, that this is connected to OS and not to hardware??

It is important for installation to follow exactly the instructions given at https://www.raspberrypi.org, because there is no "raspi-config" in Ubuntu MATE. (Mac users can write the img to SD card analogously to the instructions given for Raspbian, then proceed with general instructions.)
  • There is no need to set framebuffer depth or alpha: what we need is already set in Ubuntu MATE.
  • For transparency (windowshape) simply install xcompmgr and it's autostart as described in another thread in this subforum, write "MATE" instead of "XFCE;LXDE" in the last line of the code there.
  • Hint: If you need to disable overscan or enlarge to gpu_mem=128 or force HDMI-plug: There is still /boot/config.txt for editing available.
It works!! And it works fine!!
Especially LC 6 is pretty fast, that's why I meanwhile rank final LC 6/7 versions before an LC 8 version for Raspbian on my wishlist. And this is also, perhaps, not so difficult as to have LC 8 ...

Ask if you get a problem, I read a lot of valuable hints from "raspi-nerds" last day (and night).
Attachments
MacPlus.png
On a new machine (here Raspberry Pi 3 running Ubuntu MATE):
Step 1. Install LiveCode.
Step 2. Install TeX.
Step 3. Install minivmac -- MacPlus running Hypercard.
shiftLock happens

[-hh]

Re: Install LC 6.5.1 and 7.0.4 on Raspberry Pi 3

Post by [-hh] » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:43 am

I got an email yesterday that is very interesting here.
Thank you very much 'Black Arrow'.
Hi Herman,

I tried to put the following on your forum but was stopped because of the link in it.
This is what I wanted to show to the users:
You need to download an install file from this site: https://sourceforge.net/projects/raspbian-wheezy-pi/
This is a standard Raspbian 3-15-2016 download that has been booted on a RPi2 and updated per this sites instructions. When loaded on a micro SD card and installed in a RPi3 it will boot ok. Then just install LiveCode 7.0.4 and it works well. It seems that the problem is fixed by booting this image first on a RPi2. If you have both an RPi2 & RPi3 you can do this yourself. Just download the Noobs_v1_9_0 version, install on you card then boot on the RPi2. Then update Raspbian per the instructions on the above site. Once done install in your RPi3 and install LiveCode and you are finished.
I thought that I was being helpful!
Black Arrow
shiftLock happens

Return to “Raspberry Pi”