Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

dave.kilroy
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

LC 7.0.4 on Raspberry Pi 2

Post by dave.kilroy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:35 am

Hi all

just a quick note to Fraser "LC on the Pi is awesome! - thank you so much"

On Saturday I attended my first Raspberry Jam where I started up my brand new Pi 2, installed LiveCode, wrote a little 'hello world' stack, built a standalone - and it worked!

Well when I say it worked - it didn't work on 7.0.4 but was fine when I installed LC 7.0.3 and built with that.

With 7.0.4 I could only get a standalone to run if I used something like "sudo ./standalonename" in the terminal - and even then I got the following warnings:

Code: Select all

(Untitled 1:3486): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings:
:gtk - label-select-on-focus after class was initialised

(Untitled 1:3486): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GtkSettings:
:gtk-button-images after class was initialised
I'm guessing this is a bug either in 7.0.4 or in the rpi version of LC 7.0.4 (I tested various stacks built with 7.0.3 which were fine but showed the same behaviour when built with 7.0.4) - has anyone else experienced this?
"...this is not the code you are looking for..."

semiplay

Re: LC 7.0.4 on Raspberry Pi 2

Post by semiplay » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:25 pm

Confirming that 7.0.4 standalones do NOT work on the pi, but 7.0.3 work fine. Thanks for posting this!

walkerl26

Post by walkerl26 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:01 pm

After having LC 7.0.4 fail to run on my RPi 2, I found this post and tried 7.0.3 instead.

It launches, and lets me run the bouncing balls demo, but crashes if I do anything much else. In particular, clicking on the menubar (trying to do File/New Mainstack) causes an immediate, fully reproducible crash. Even moving the Start Center window sometimes crashes it.

Are there any tweaks needs to make 7.0.3 work on a Pi 2???? I thought Fraser had said that it should run out-of-the-box at this point...

Thanks,

Larry

dave.kilroy

Post by dave.kilroy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:29 pm

Hi Walkerl26 - no LC 7.0.3 "just worked" for me on my pi2 - could it be something to do with a setting on your pi such as its operating system? I got the 'noobs 8gb sd card' - I can't remember which os installed now, but whichever one it was it was the most basic most vanilla one on the card...
"...this is not the code you are looking for..."

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:38 pm

Both LC 6.5.1 and LC 7.0.4 run here perfectly on both Raspberry Pi B+ and Raspberry Pi 2.

Also standalones (I create them under a MacOS 10.9-10.11 or Xubuntu 1204-1510 with LC 7.0.4) run fine. After copying the standalones to Raspi I do a chmod +x for the standalone (or add execute anyone to permissions of properties by rightClicking it), then doubleClick it.

The OS I use is Raspbian from the original installation of the devices (downloaded Raspi NOOBS).
I regularly do

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

All 56 stacks of the stacks collection are tested to run fast enough (for me) on Raspi B+ and Raspi 2. Tested a lot of them as standalones. Never had a crash with these or with one of the IDE's since half a year. An apache server runs fine, also motion daemons (using an old webcam or a new raspiCam).

All I meanwhile added to the file (by use of "sudo raspi-config" auto generated)
/boot/config.txt

is for the Raspi B+:
framebuffer_depth=32
framebuffer_ignore_alpha=1

and for the Raspi 2:
framebuffer_depth=32

Hope this all will work for you too.

1st p.s. Sometimes the IDE crashes immediately, when using VNC. This is a problem caused by VNC, not by LC.
2nd p.s. I use devices that are manufactured in GB (means, that your problem could be a hardware problem).
shiftLock happens

walkerl26

Post by walkerl26 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:52 pm

Very weird: I did the current NOOBS download onto a freshly formatted 8Gb (via SDFormatter_4.00B).

Downloaded 7.0.4 and 7.0.3, each to a freshly-installed Raspbian uSD card. I expected exactly what you report as your experience, and am quite puzzled what I might have done differently...

Larry

walkerl26

Post by walkerl26 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:03 pm

...and adding the line:

framebuffer_depth=32

to /boot/config.txt

had no effect (consistent with what I'd believed Fraser had told me via email a week or two ago...)

Larry

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:52 am

Hi Larry,

you are on Raspi 2, running Raspbian OS and LC 7.0.4 starts up. What happens then?
To avoid problems with file permissions: did you install "for this user only"?

hh
shiftLock happens

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:22 pm

Adjusting the color settings is easy enough for me to do, but my main interest in the Pi build is to make things to share with other Pi users, who are unlikely to mod their systems just to run my apps.

I realize the Pi build isn't an official one, but is it possible to project when we might see an updated build that uses stock system settings?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:00 am

Richard,
there were a lot of essential Raspbian-updates for both Raspi B+ and Raspi 2.

I noticed for a while that Raspi B+ lost it's wrong colour display (BGR) for LC,
and denoted it in post "Infos about current LC version for Raspberry Pi".

Now I tested, crazy enough, with a Raspi 2 again what's needed (couldn't do that for Raspi B, all are in use).

Good news for all (Raspi 2, not tested for Raspi B+) and LC 7.0.4:
You don't need the 'framebuffer-line' any more (and it doesn't harm if it is there).

For LC 6.5.1 you, also on Raspi 2 stiil this line in /boot/config.txt (see the FAQs for the how-to):

framebuffer_depth=32         # for Raspi 2 and LC 6.5.1, also for Raspi B+ always
framebuffer_ignore_alpha=1   # for Raspi B+ always
Now update your Raspi 2 (running Raspbian):

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
download LC-RPI 6.5.1 (at bottom of the download page) and 7.0.4, restart and you are done.
(the usual thing to do: make the installer executable and, this is my advice, install "For you only").

Make your Raspi standalones (7.0.4 only) faster on Mac/Linux/Win, but test before that in the IDE, that the speed of your scripts is fast enough for Raspi. This is sometimes a real challenge if you are coming from a > 3 GHz machine ...

Now please read again my first post "Hope springs eternal".
If the community can help for getting "updates", giving Fraser Gordon enough time to do this with love, we can luckily go on.

Hermann

p.s. I paid my annual community membership.

Edit 2: Corrected the info for LC 6.5.1 on Raspi 2.
Edit 1: Corrected 7.0.5 to 7.0.4, sorry.
Last edited by [-hh] on Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shiftLock happens

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:49 am

Thanks for the assist but still no go. I ran the update/dist-upgrade, rebooted, and I still see the same thing as before:

6.5.1 installer opens, but the window contents don't draw so I can't install.
7.0.2 and 7.0.3 run, and most things work, but as soon as I click in any menu in RevMenubar it crashes instantly.
7.0.4 crashes during launch.

I haven't been launching it through the command line so I have no further diagnostics yet. Had hoped it would be as straightforward for me as I need it to be for end-users.

Any other tips you may have would be much appreciated.
Richard Gaskin

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:36 am

Never had an 'invisible' installer on a Raspi 2.

Recently I installed LC on a new Raspi B+. I had forgotten most things and used my own FAQs in this forum. Setting (in /boot/config.txt)

framebuffer_depth=32
framebuffer_ignore_alpha=1

was still necessary, as I tested today here, not any more for Raspi 2 (LC 7.0.4 only, LC 6.5.1 still needs first line) <-- info updated

Three more things.
1. Did you *remove* all files from earlier installations? Especially prefs? The early 7 versions crashed here too.
I had success with LC 7.0.4, but *only* with 7.0.4 (and 6.5.1).
2. Never use the built-in backdrop, crashes immediately or gives you a black screen.
3. Never use for installing a VNC connection, sometimes this crashes even stacks that run 'directly' without problems.

Hope this helps.
shiftLock happens

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:32 pm

Good tips and much appreciated, but still no go.

LC 7.0.4 launches well and most things work, but the moment I click in the menu bar it crashes. This was after removing both the prefs and license files and doing a clean install of LC.

I ran it this last time from the command line, where it reported after the crash: "free(): invalid size:"

There are probably other diagnostic things I can do, and if you have any thoughts I'll give them a shot over the weekend.
Richard Gaskin

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:52 pm

There may be a problem with available space on your sd card.
I would give this a try.

sudo raspi-config
Use there "Expand Filesystem". I did this with every installation.

If this doesnt't help, if have currently no further idea.
Perhaps LC-Fraser has an answer ...
shiftLock happens

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:17 am

Still no joy, I'm afraid.

raspi-config reports that because I set up with NOOBS my file system is already maximized (32GB should be plenty). Besides, free is a memory call, no?

Hopefully Fraser will get some time for a fresh new build at some point.

In the meantime as long as I don't use LC's menus things seem to run, so I'm thinking I may develop on my other box and test standalones only on the Pi.

Hate to say it but the Pi's so frustratingly slow I can't see coding much on it anyway. I like many things about it, and for the price it's almost mind-blowing in some respects, but running a GUI on it seems a strain; aside from testing I see mine becoming a headless server at some point....
Richard Gaskin

Return to “Raspberry Pi”