Official Platform?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

ramav

Re: Official Platform?

Post by ramav » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:29 am

I figured out the original problem I reported above on Feb. 11, it was a bad SD card, and LiveCode installs fine on the RP!! Feb. 14, 2014.***
However, *****I know this is off topic to some extent, but hopefully it will help Livecoders trying to adopt Raspberry Pi --there is a GREAT future and hats off again to Mr. Fraser for this wonderful port--a watershed event in the history of 21st century computing for the masses, just like the VIC20 and commodore 64 marriage with BASIC was in the 1980s. Mr. Fraser, if you read this, I still cannot get the standalones to execute even though they build perfectly without errors. This is version 6.5.1. Any hints? Thanks ***************
Best regards
Rama

[-hh]
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by [-hh] » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:45 am

Last edited by [-hh] on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
shiftLock happens

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:56 pm

Last edited by [-hh] on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
shiftLock happens

vedus
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by vedus » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:18 pm

hi guys.
Sorry if this is stupid question but i need to ask..
Can the Raspberry Pi be programmed with livecode?
is there any libraries or guides how to start ?

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:51 pm

The Raspberry Pi builds are available at the bottom of the Downloads page at LiveCode.com:
http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Rauterkus

Post by Rauterkus » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:08 pm

Just adding my voice to the desire to make Raspberry Pi an official platform for LiveCode. Would love to see LiveCode running on a Pi with version 8 in August 2016.

For now, I've got a GRANT opportunity and would love to make the application with some confidence that these desires would come true, eventually.

Thanks!

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:51 pm

Yes, very much desired by all, not least of which is the LC core dev team. But the world is a place defined by limitations, and this expresses itself in software development teams as well: we all want to build everything, but we have to prioritize what gets built in an order that hopefully reflects a wide range of goals from short-term growth needs to long-term viability.

As just one example of many, while I don't development on OS X often I appreciate that many of my end-users rely on it every day, and the writing's on the wall that 64-bit deployment will be essential soon. Given that a favorably disproportionate number of LC licensees use OS X as their primary development platform, and that OS X is a highly desirable target platform for everyone else, the need for the team to set aside other initiatives to focus on that was a clearly good and useful thing to do, even if it has impacted other things they might have been doing.

As I wrote on the LiveCode User Group on Facebook (URL in my sig below) recently in a related discussion there, Raspberry Pi was among the key points in my most recent community coordination meeting with Kevin. Recognizing that the core dev team is of a somewhat fixed size, and that running a Make file is something the community might do equally well, I suggested two paths to consider:

1. The Raspberry Pi build is added to the core dev team's automated build system. This is of course the simplest in the long term, but given the complexities of the build system not at all trivial to set up.

2. The Raspberry Pi build can become a community-governed project, in which we set up a small team to periodically run the Make file for this one platform. This would require some guidance from the core dev team to get the initial build going, and we can then make it sustainable without needing any further effort from the core dev team, allowing them to remain focused on fulfilling the many other obligations they have which require their unique talents.

Kevin is reviewing these options with Fraser, and will report back soon on the path that seems most cost-effective for the full scope of their ongoing obligations. I will of course relay that outcome here.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Raspberry Pi”