Official Platform?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

robl
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Official Platform?

Post by robl » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:40 pm

Wow, a Raspberry Pi sub-form! :D Does this indicate that RunRev is elevating the Raspberry Pi to an officially supported platform (or planning to do so), from being a an experimental proof of concept/community fork? I really hope this is the case. LiveCode & Raspberry Pi will be a great combination, given the Raspberry Pi has been adopted by many educators as cheap platform to teach programming concepts to students.

heatherlaine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Official Platform?

Post by heatherlaine » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:53 pm

Lets not get too excited here! Raspberry Pi is not an officially supported platform. Whether it will become so in the future is not something I can comment on.

In the meantime, this forum is here to help all you enthusiasts out there knock it into shape and make it something the official RunRev team might learn to love.

Regards,

Heather

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:54 pm

Last edited by [-hh] on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
shiftLock happens

robl

Post by robl » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:10 pm

[-hh] wrote:I think it's a step to an official platform. We will have to push this with a lot of clapping hands.
Thanks to Fraser and the LC Team, a nice gift.
According to my second sight LC & RPI is for the next generation of developers a milestone as was HC & Macintosh for the last.
Applause! Applause!
Yes, indeed! Thank you Fraser, et al!

I think you may be right, or at least it has the potential to be the "Hypercard & Macintosh" of yesteryear.

robl

Post by robl » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:14 pm

heatherlaine wrote:Lets not get too excited here! Raspberry Pi is not an officially supported platform. Whether it will become so in the future is not something I can comment on.

In the meantime, this forum is here to help all you enthusiasts out there knock it into shape and make it something the official RunRev team might learn to love.

Regards,

Heather
Sorry, Heather. I'm easily excited. Even if this is just a forum for enthusiasts (at this stage), it shows a bit of support/resources from RR towards the platform, even if unofficial. I'll have to send some holiday cookies to the RR offices to bribe the rest of the team. ;)

Seriously though, thank you for the clarification and providing a forum for those of us that drool over the the prospect of having LC working on Raspberry Pi.

LCfraser
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCfraser » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:29 pm

What do you mean "prospect of having LC working on the Raspberry Pi"? Works perfectly well on my RPi ;)

I'll admit that it's still rough around the edges but the 6.5.1 release I've just put out should bring it closer to the other desktop platforms - all externals and standalone engines (except iOS because that's OSX-only) are now included. The standalone builder needs tweaking to add an option for RPi but that should be coming as a small patch soon.

The Android standalone is included but you'd need a port of the Android SDK tools to ARM which I've not yet been able to find. Might have to build it myself... Developing on a device less powerful than the phones and tablets you'll be deploying to does sound like fun though :D

monte

Post by monte » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:56 pm

runrevfraser wrote:The Android standalone is included but you'd need a port of the Android SDK tools to ARM which I've not yet been able to find. Might have to build it myself... Developing on a device less powerful than the phones and tablets you'll be deploying to does sound like fun though :D
Indeed that's exactly the kind of "point of difference" that could get people to notice LC so if you can make it happen it would be great.
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

trenatos

Post by trenatos » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:53 am

Woo! This is awesome.. Going to have to revisit projects that depend on RPI's now :)
Marcus

skiplondon

Post by skiplondon » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:57 am

The possibilities of this means the potential of releasing this to hundreds of children my area..... Any way to get more information on getting this functioning properly on the Pi?

SKIP
Skip Kimpel - Magicgate Software

LCfraser
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCfraser » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:09 pm

The best way to get more information is to just ask ;)

I've been pretty busy over Christmas so there's not been much progress in getting the Android and Linux-ARM standalone builders working - I should be able to get the Linux-ARM one done sometime this week, hopefully. Android is more complicated as I need to coax the Android SDK into building for Linux ARM without compiling it on the RPi itself...

Other than that, the RPi install should work the same as a "normal" Linux desktop install of LiveCode. There can be some problems with the RPi framebuffer though (LiveCode doesn't like running in 16-bit colour mode - something I definitely need to look into as many distros, including Raspbian, use a 16-bit framebuffer by default).

ramav

Post by ramav » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:21 am

Hi: Thanks for announcing this tour de force!! I tried to access the downloads page downloads-livecode-com--livecode--pi -- (I am not permitted to use URL delimiters on this forum hence the strange substitutions) tonight (feb. 8) and got a message "You don't have permission to access...additionally 404 error.." Please advise. I am eager to develop apps for the RP...
best regards
Rama

LCfraser
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCfraser » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:10 pm

It looks like the update to the LiveCode downloads page has made the directory inaccessible. You should still be able to download it if you go to http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ and scroll down to the RaspberryPi section at the bottom.

Regards,
Fraser

ramav

Post by ramav » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:18 am

Thanks for your prompt response. I now get the install to work fine, but am unable to get the desktop icons or see the executable (what is the name of the gui executable ?) in the appropriate folder(s) (/opt/runrev/...) Sorry for the typos, but i am entering this from a Raspberry Pi browser window, and here is the install capture, and thanks again for your generous help.
Sincerely
rama
:
(Even tried in desperation to run the installer as root!)
root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# ./lci.arm
(gksu:3676): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
GConf Error: No D-BUS daemon running
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
param = /home/pi/lci.arm
param = doinstall
param = -path
param = /opt/runrev/livecodecommunity-6.5.1
param = -record
param = /opt/runrev/livecodecommunity-6.5.1/.setup.txt
param = -enable-startmenu
param = -enable-allusers
param = -enable-desktopshortcut

root@raspberrypi:/home/pi#

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:45 am

Last edited by [-hh] on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
shiftLock happens

ramav

Post by ramav » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:24 am

Thanks hh from Gottingen
I was mystified by the fact that no desktop icon appeared even though install said it would, and you have explained how to "make" it appear!
BTW, an icon does appear in Applications--Programming folder, which can be accessed the filemanager app on taskbar at bottom left of screen This taskbar also has a shortcut for browser.

A few other housekeeping chores necessary, especially for US users:

(a) Keyboard always defaults to GB and the double quote, @ symbol, etc. get into the wrong places.
I had to use the command below from a terminal window or if you want to avoid the sudo to become root, use the root terminal app found in Applications--Accessories:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
This brings up any number of daunting options, the safest is to just select a generic 104 key keyboard with all the defaults EXCEPT you select a US keyboard -I cannot explain the sequence, you need to carefully plow your way through the options and just make sure you select a US keyboard again generic (not stuff like Dvorak left, Dvorak right, etc.)
Alternatively, the edit below MAY work, but you are editing a systems file and so need to be careful. Also, the various editors sometimes complain because the file(s) are protected as read only, and you need to know how to change permissions, etc. :
sudo nano /etc/default/keyboard

then change the XKBLAYOUT=”gb” line replacing gb by "us"

(b) Time had defaulted to GMT. This again takes a command so you can set time zone:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

Thanks to elinux(dot)org (forward slash) R-Pi_Troubleshooting for an excellent section that gave me the hints above.

(c) The most difficult step was to get rid of 10 minute sleep (default) setting for Raspbian. I tried a host of different solutions without really understanding any of them. The one that finally worked was
Open a root terminal in raspberry Pi. Now you need to edit your script that's starting X. In the default build with lightdm.
Open "lightdm.conf" file located in,
/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
Add below line in to SeatDefault section.
[SeatDefaults]
xserver-command=X -s 0 -dpms

(From chamaras (dot) blogspot (dot) com).

Finally, don't forget to reboot your Pi for changes.

*****I know this is off topic to some extent, but hopefully it will help Livecoders trying to adopt Raspberry Pi --there is a GREAT future and hats off again to Mr. Fraser for this wonderful port--a watershed event in the history fo 21st century computing for the masses, just like the VIC20 and commodore 64 marriage with BASIC was in the 1980s. Mr. Fraser, if you read this, I still cannot get the standalones to execute even though they build perfectly without errors. This is version 6.5.1. Any hints? Thanks ***************

Return to “Raspberry Pi”