Don't want restart after tapping the Home Button

Moderators: LCNeil, heatherlaine, kevinmiller, elanorb

A.Steen

Don't want restart after tapping the Home Button

Post by A.Steen » Tue May 06, 2014 10:00 am

I asked this question during a Q&A-session. The solution was to save data to a file and read the data by a restart. But I also had the problem that the app was black in the list of open icon (on an Iphone).
I saw a solution on the "Livecode Journal" with the UIApplicationExitsOnSuspend set to false in the settings.plist. Now it all works great on my iphone. The trick, however, is not supported. What risks do I take with this trick?

(Unfortunately I missed the last Q&A. I would have asked the questions there)

LCNeil
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Re: Don't want restart after tapping the Home Button

Post by LCNeil » Tue May 06, 2014 3:54 pm

Hi A.Steen,

The ability to background your applications was previously supported in LiveCode, but official support was removed due to certain conflict that happened with the LiveCode engine when apps were running in the background. I cannot remember the specifics of this but I believe certain commands such a "wait" did not operate as expected.

As this is no longer supported we cannot really comment on the effects using the UIApplicationExitsOnSuspend will have on your application. We can only advise to use this method with caution and throughly test your application before it is released as a publicly accessible application.

As you are using the above backgrounding method, you may also want to look into mergBG task from the mergExt external range. This grants your more control of background tasks (e.g. starting and stopping them). More information on this external can be found here-

http://mergext.com/home/mergbgtask/

Kind Regards,

Neil Roger
--
RunRev Support Team ~ http://www.runrev.com
——

Return to “idea2app and Coding School”