Is IDE Auto-Completion on the roadmap?

Moderators: LCNeil, heatherlaine, kevinmiller, elanorb

Bobisback

Is IDE Auto-Completion on the roadmap?

Post by Bobisback » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:37 pm

Is auto-completion on the road map for the livecode IDE.

Auto-completion is one of the most effective ways to learn a new language. Not only do you have less mistakes from spelling and scoping issues, but it also helps a ton in the learning what functions do and how to access them by pulling up the refrance pages of this functions. This can increase not only learning but productivity in general exponentially.

So is this on the road map for the livecode IDE?

If it is then do we have a time frame on it?

If not then what is the reason for this?

Thanks,
Sean

Simon
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Is IDE Auto-Completion on the roadmap?

Post by Simon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:51 pm

I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

Bobisback

Post by Bobisback » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:07 pm

Thanks for the link, however that was the first thread I saw on the subject and there was no comment from revrun and on top of that, that project was last updated 10 months ago give or take so. My question is specific to them including it into there IDE.

Simon

Post by Simon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:15 pm

Hi Sean,
glx2 is still active, mwieder takes care of it. If there is a problem you just post it to one of the common forums.
There a still plenty of kickstarter goals to be reached so I don't expect auto-complete too soon.

You can post to the Feature Request forum.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

LCNeil
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCNeil » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:41 am

Hi Bobisback et al.

As simon mentioned we have many kickstarter goals still to complete and auto complete within the script editor is not something we are actively working on. A list of all areas that our dev team are implementing can be found on our roadmap here-

http://livecode.com/community/roadmap/

With that being said, we did previously have autocomplete within the script editor, but this removed due to it requiring "significant improvement". More information on this can be found here-

http://quality.runrev.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7303

If you wish to see the feature re-implemented in LiveCode, please consider adding a comment to this report as it will refresh its position in our Enhancement Queue for consideration by our Quality Control Team.

Kind Regards,

Neil Roger
--
RunRev Support Team ~ http://www.runrev.com
——

rinzwind

Post by rinzwind » Fri May 02, 2014 2:44 pm

Code/auto/tab completion is something that is really missing from LiveCode. The IDE should help the programmer and reduce typos and speed up programming. Every modern IDE has this. Every 'modern' programmer that is trying to use LiveCode is looking for it. I know your language makes some autocomplete structures more difficult... maybe introduce a more logical syntax. Person.Name instead of Name of Person.

Return to “idea2app and Coding School”