Frustration and Summer School 2 - 2014

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jc.iBUSG8Wk
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Frustration and Summer School 2 - 2014

Post by jc.iBUSG8Wk » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Greetings!

I'm a bit frustrated right now, so please have some patience.
I do appreciate the new lessons, the availability of the weekly webinars, and the upgrades to LiveCode itself.

That being said, I think the following frustrations highlight opportunities to improve the customer experience.

First Frustration:
Locating an old Forum UserName assigned in 2012
- I just spent 30+ minutes trying to locate an old email I received which assigned me a user name for LiveCode forums back in 2012.
The automated help system which would have allowed me to retrieve the information automatically NEEDED to have both my username and email account.
-- Why? This is not industry-standard. How 'bout just the email which the user then has to confirm that I've seen used lots of places.
I could not CREATE a new Forum account BECAUSE my email was already associated with an account username I didn't choose.

Once I finally tracked down this old email from 2012 and used that username, I could find no way to CHANGE IT to something I want/can easily remember.
-- Again Why not? -- If there is a way to change one's USER NAME, it is not readily apparent

Second Frustration:
This Forum says Summer School 2013, not 2014
Is this REALLY the place for the 2nd iteration of the summer school?

If so, why the heck aren't the 2013 posts happily stored within an archival folder (say, '2013')?
That way people COULD choose to look through them rather than having them clog up the works for people working through this summer's version of summer school -- 2014.
Alternately, a LINK could be posted in 'Week 1' of the current Summer School to the previous iteration...

Again, IF this IS the right place, the content between 2013 and 2014 does not appear to be identical, so why would the forum simply be re-used?

If this is not the right place for Summer School 2014, why can't I find a 2014 Summer School post?

Third Frustration:
Attention to Detail and Helpful Customer Design
While I appreciate the time taken to develop the lessons, webinars, and forums, it seems attention to detail and good up-front communication is lacking or could be stream-lined. Rather than making people do extra work to find or discover things, HELP your customers to get the most out of things they have purchased.
The above "work" to get access to the forums is one case in point.
Another case in point is having to complete two webinar requests for this past Wednesday, because my first request was not acted upon.

As a teacher using LiveCode as one tool to help students develop apps, I have first-hand experience creating materials.
I also have a high standard for making sure online resources are readily available, clearly marked, and students know how to access and use them.

sefrojones
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Frustration and Summer School 2 - 2014

Post by sefrojones » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:32 pm

AS far as your second frustration, the forums for the Summer School 2 2014 is here:

http://forums.livecode.com/viewforum.php?f=91

--Sefro

Edit: I will add that I recently wanted my username changed because somehow there as some extra text behind it that I never bothered trying to change, a quick email to support and they changed it for for me within a couple days.
Last edited by sefrojones on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jc.iBUSG8Wk

Post by jc.iBUSG8Wk » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:35 pm

Sefro,

Thanks for the quick response...
I apparently have to request access to this forum.

Since I can clearly see me products when I login, why isn't this kind of thing just automatically DONE for a user?
Why create another step for someone to have to request access to a forum which they clearly should have access to?

I appreciate your help, I don't know why a search for summer school only showed me the 2013 version...

sefrojones

Post by sefrojones » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:38 pm

As i said in my edit above, I think an e-mail to supprt will clear this up and get you into the proper forum. I *think* that it may be the change from forums.runrev.com to forums.livecode.com that is causing problems. I also had to request access to the forum, but support was very quick to get it all sorted out. Hope this helps!

--Sefro

LCNeil
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCNeil » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi Jc,

Im sorry to hear about the various frustrations you've been having.

As Sefro has mentioned, the Summer School 14 forum is locked to the public and should only be visible to SummerSchool 2014 attendees. If you are still experiencing issue accessing this page then please contact us at support@runrev.com and we will be able to assist asap :)

If you would like any changes made to your forum username, again please contact support and we will happily do this for you. Although your suggestion of having this ability available to the end user is something that we will happily look into into integrating into our phpbb system.

If you have any other requests or queries please do not hesitate to post these the the summer school 14 forum

Kind Regards,

Neil Roger
--
LiveCode Support Team ~ http://www.livecode.com
——

cavenewt

Post by cavenewt » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:33 pm

It took me a little hunting to find the Summer School 2 forum. The 2013 Summer School forum (where we are now) is in the Academic Endeavors section; Summer School 2 (2014) is under Private.
Last edited by cavenewt on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavenewt

Post by cavenewt » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:27 pm

It would be nice, and would improve appearances, if the summer school content and schedule pages were updated.

The content page accessed through the login at http://summerschool.livecode.com/index. ... Itemid=617 has an incorrect title for Lesson 4.

Neil explained that the schedule is subject to change because of guest presenters; I can understand that, but it would be nice if the schedule at http://summerschool.livecode.com/index. ... e-schedule was kept a little more up to date.

I'm not complaining, just pointing it out.

Return to “Summer School 2013”