iOS Simulator - no iPhone 5 Retina device

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jehvoz
Livecode Opensource Backer

iOS Simulator - no iPhone 5 Retina device

Post by jehvoz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:48 pm

Hi,

I've reached the end of Lesson 3 and run into a problem with iOS Simulator testing. I'm following the lessons except I'm doing it all on an iPhone 5 layout (non-retina), not iPad.

I have the Mobile Support Preferences configured as per 'Lesson 0' with X-Code 4.6 and 4.4 installed and the latter version put in its own sub-folder. I have a green light in the prefs panel and the confirmation messages "Available device SDKs: 5.1, 6.1" and "Available simulators: 5.1, 6.1". The menu "Development > Test Target" reflects this. However...

If I select a test target of iPhone 5.1 in LiveCode, the iOS Simulator launches an iPhone 4 device (and clips the bottom of my UI). The iOS Sim's 'Hardware > Device' menu options show iPhone 5 and iPhone 5 Retina, but selecting either one still displays the iPhone 4 device. Under 'Hardware > Version' the iOS Sim presents only one option: 'Version 5.1 (9B176)'.

If I select a test target of iPhone 6.1 in LiveCode, the iOS Simulator I get the dreaded "Unable to start simulation: iOS Simulator failed to install the application".

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Many thanks in advance,

Jeff.

LCNeil
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Re: iOS Simulator - no iPhone 5 Retina device

Post by LCNeil » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:19 am

Hi Jehvoz,

In order to use the full resolution of high resolution iOS devices, please add the following script to your card script-

on preopenstack
iphoneusedeviceresolution true
end preopenstack

More information on this can be found here-

http://livecode.com/developers/api/6.0. ... esolution/

This should allow your full stack to show when testing on a retina 4 inch iOS simulator. However, to test on this newer simulator we will need to get iOS 6.1 deployment working for you (as this 6.1 simulator contains the 4 inch iPhone setting)

The most likely reason for the "Unable to start simulation: iOS Simulator failed to install the application" message is that there is a pre-existing application on the iOS simulator with the same unique identifier.

To resolve this you could either-

1) Change the identifier of your application in the iOS standalone applications settings

2) Reset the iOS simulator. This can be done in the 6.1 simulator by navigating to the iOS simulator menu and then "Reset Content and Settings"

You will be able to force the simulator to open by right clicking on Xcode 4.6.3 and selecting "Show Package Contents" Then from here contents/Applications/iPhone Simulator.app

Let us know how you get on with this.

Kind Regards,

Neil Roger
--
RunRev Support Team ~ http://www.runrev.com
--

jehvoz

Post by jehvoz » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi Neil,

Many thanks for your rapid and very helpful support.

The 'Reset Content and Settings in the iOS simulator' seems to have done the trick. It also seems to have cured the weird button placement issue in my other post
(http://forums.runrev.com/viewtopic.php? ... 544#p84544), so thanks for that too, and please consider that one closed.

Just out of interest, re the first option you suggest, when you refer to the Standalone App Setting 'identifier of your application" do you mean:

• The 'Standalone name' (on the General tab)
• The 'Display name' (on the iOS tab)
• The 'Internal App ID' (on the iOS tab)

...or is there a specific 'identifier of your application' field that I've missed?

Thanks again for you mightily efficient and friendly support.

Jeff.

LCNeil
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCNeil » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:05 pm

Hi Jeff,

I'm glad I was able to help out and get things up and running for you.

The option I was referring to was the The 'Internal App ID' (on the iOS tab). This naming in here generally uses the standard reverse domain name convention. By changing this, you can have multiple instances of your application installed on an iOS device or simulator. It is also used when submitting your application to the iOS store.

Kind Regards,

Neil Roger
--
RunRev Support Team ~ http://www.runrev.com
--

maria3

Post by maria3 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:52 am

What you all think about Iphone 5c and 5s with IOS 7?

sourish55

Post by sourish55 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:16 am

I do not have any idea about 5c and 5s with IOS 7 but I was loaded iOS7 in my oldest iPhone 4S, I really impress the sensor of fingerprint is too fast, I really shocked to see new iOS7.

Return to “Summer School 2013”