Splash or not to splash?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

desert1

Splash or not to splash?

Post by desert1 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:24 am

So Ben said to post some of what we are doing. Hope this works.

And as I do, another puzzle—I hear that Apple suggests omitting a splash screen when possible.

But not sure what to put up front, then.

1.An index? or 2.An example card?
1n2creatures23au13.jpg
3.A picture index? (like in your App perception experiment) or 4.Versus a regular old splash?
3n4creatures23au13.jpg

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Splash or not to splash?

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:25 am

Pardon the OT question, but is that snake a Mojave Green?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

EOTR

Post by EOTR » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:48 pm

You're right, Apple's guidelines say to go right into the app and omit a splash screen as a best practice. With some large apps it takes a while for things to load though, and if there is no splash screen the screen will just be black for a while. The user might freak out and think its broken, so in that case a splash screen would be necessary. In lieu of a decorative splash screen Apple suggests you do a screen shot of the first screen of the app and use that as the placeholder/splash. This way the user can start to make decisions before taking action. If the load time is going to be more than 1-2 seconds you might want the screen shot to be grayed out a little so it looks inactive.

If the load time takes considerably longer than that you might want to use something like what you have in example #4. Then it works more like a branding device.

What if the first screen was a more general navigation screen? Like make a series of buttons labeled with category names; Reptiles, Birds, Insects, etc. Of course this might mean restructuring the Picture Index screen (#3 Creatures) as well so its consistent. Then you could use a screen shot of it as a splash and ease the user into the workflow.

Just a thought, Henry

desert1

Post by desert1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:43 am

I like the idea of haivng the first screen a general nav screen, and using that as the splash as well as intro to the app.

Thank you!

desert1

Post by desert1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:47 am

Hi Richard,

You got it--I think the name at the PHX zoo was just "Mohave Rattlesnake"--I will see if I have more specific info on the animal's name when I have a chance to go back to the originals.

Sandy

Return to “Summer School 2013”