Scrolling and scrolling

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

desert1

Scrolling and scrolling

Post by desert1 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:26 am

A bit confused about iOS scrolling and LC scrolling

I want to have an image and text scroll vertically within the iOS app, while the navigation bar and bottom tab buttons remain stationary. Is the way to do this to group the image and text only, then add some scrolling code?

But what is iOS scrolling? Does that scroll the navbars too? And how is that coded?

elanorb
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Re: Scrolling and scrolling

Post by elanorb » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:11 am

Hi desert1

LiveCode scrolling uses scrollbars, as you would get in a desktop app. The native mobile scrollers, for iOS and Android, allow you to use the built in scrollers on those platforms, with the scrollbars that show when you touch the screen, the ability to scroll around the group my moving your finger within it, the bounce effects when scrolling to the edges of the group etc.

To use a native mobile scroller group together the objects you want to be scrollable then set up a scroller containing that group. If the navigation bar and bottom buttons are outside the scrolling area they will remain stationary.

There is a lesson on creating a native scroller here, it uses a field but the principle is the same for a group.

If you are using MobGUI there are docs here.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards

Elanor
Elanor Buchanan
Software Developer
LiveCode

desert1

Re: Scrolling and scrolling

Post by desert1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:17 am

Great, thank you for the explanation and the links. It gets confusing as to which is doing what--but it's still simpler that straight x-Code!

Very cool to hear that the bounce works too!

Return to “Summer School 2013”