What am I doing wrong with Lesson 2?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

houdini042

What am I doing wrong with Lesson 2?

Post by houdini042 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:46 pm

Coming across a lot of difficulties trying to get through this. Again, I'm brand new to LiveCode so I could just be having a blonde moment...

1. Added in the tab bar background.
2. Resized my buttons by filtering for Background in the project browser, selecting the backgrounds and resizing/moving down in the Object Inspector.
When I did this, I noticed that when I selected multiple things in the Project browser, it didn't always highlight what I was selecting. So I'd select the 5 background images in the project browser, some of them would be highlighted to show they were selected, some wouldn't, sometimes non of them would highlight. They still selected in the main screen, but just not in the list of the Project Browser, if that makes sense. So I always had to look at the main window to make sure I was actually selecting them instead of being able to see it quickly just by looking at the Project Browser window.
3. I clicked Select Grouped, clicked on Contacts, went to put in my dim image, and it resized the button! Clicked on Maps to see if maybe it was just Contacts, but when I put in the dim image, it resized it even taller than the Contacts button had!
4. Throughout all of this, I would try to hit Undo to go back. Undo didn't do anything. Even if I hit it right after I'd put in an image and it had resized itself and I hadn't done anything, it wouldn't Undo to before the image was inserted and it was the proper size.

So did I do something wrong by resizing my buttons using the Backgrounds in the Project Browser that then screwed me over for the rest of the steps?

As a side note, before the icons were released I made my own using the files available in Resources. I made them all 70x70 like those icons were, but then when I put them in as Dim and Active images they were huge and covered the text. I assumed they would resize to fit the proper "icon size" above text; is that not the case? And if so, what's the correct size for an icon, and should there be any space around it?

EOTR

Re: What am I doing wrong with Lesson 2?

Post by EOTR » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:03 am

Did you ever get it to work? I have had some quirky things happen with the Project Browser too.

The icons in Resources are bigger than the icons used in the demo. The demo icons are aoubt w19 x h20. Sounds like you could take the bigger icons you have and make them smaller in the Inspector, or just make them smaller in Photoshop. I found that when you bring an image into a box it does NOT resize to fit the box. It either gets cropped by the box or you can click "Fit to content" in the Inspector and the box snap to the size of the image.

houdini042

Post by houdini042 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:25 pm

Nope, never figured it out. I gave up. I assume what I have to do is start over and just resize the buttons approximately using the bounding box like in the lesson, instead of the Project Browser to be exact. Which is fine, it's just frustrating to have to choose between working buttons that aren't all the same size, or buttons that have messed up icons on them.

Seems like the Undo issue has been around for a while; I'm going to have to condition myself to save after more or less everything I do, which is also frustrating.

cavenewt
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by cavenewt » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:19 pm

Eleanor gave us the magic formula in another thread.

Issue with Lesson 2 Icons

http://forums.runrev.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=16636

Return to “Summer School 2013”