Lesson One -- Buttons become White after first test

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

fredotechGA2742
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Lesson One -- Buttons become White after first test

Post by fredotechGA2742 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:39 pm

I followed the instructions in the video, but when i tested the applications and clicked on all the buttons it worked as intended but when I stopped the Run mode the buttons on the bottom of my stack were white and never turned back to Blue. when I tested it with the Ipad emulator I could not even see the buttons. any thoughts or help?

donchan

Re: Lesson One -- Buttons become White after first test

Post by donchan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:08 am

I also noticed this, but I think it may be because it's a MobGUI Tab Button rather than a normal button. Looking at the MobGUI properties for the Tab button, it only has 3 settings - Text Color, Tab BG and Touch Text. I'm guessing the trick may be to create a if...then... script in each of the buttons to reset it to the normal colour if it has not been selected?

Coffee1633

Post by Coffee1633 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:07 am

I'm not sure if I understand your problem but you might try putting a tab bar behind the buttons. If your buttons are at the bottom of the screen then simply drag a tabbar onto the stack and it will snap into place. You might need to adjust the layer setting either from the Project Manager or the properties menu so the it is behind the buttons not in front and hiding them.

The buttons behave as radio buttons and only one is blue at any given time. The others are still there but difficult to see on a white background. You can also try adding a BG by just dragging it onto the screen. It will snap to fill the current stack size.

Not sure if that is what you are referring to. I think there might be issues when you switch between device sizes on the MobGui panel. I had buttons dissappear after changing the device size back and forth a lot. But that doesn't sound like the same thing that happened to you.

Note: in the end, I was able to replicate the video lesson without any if...then... scripts in the buttons.

Coffee16

donchan

Post by donchan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:06 am

Oh yeah, why was I trying to over-complicate things with code when a simple background image would suffice... :)

fredotechGA2742

Post by fredotechGA2742 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:54 am

Coffee1633 wrote:I'm not sure if I understand your problem but you might try putting a tab bar behind the buttons. If your buttons are at the bottom of the screen then simply drag a tabbar onto the stack and it will snap into place. You might need to adjust the layer setting either from the Project Manager or the properties menu so the it is behind the buttons not in front and hiding them.

The buttons behave as radio buttons and only one is blue at any given time. The others are still there but difficult to see on a white background. You can also try adding a BG by just dragging it onto the screen. It will snap to fill the current stack size.

Not sure if that is what you are referring to. I think there might be issues when you switch between device sizes on the MobGui panel. I had buttons dissappear after changing the device size back and forth a lot. But that doesn't sound like the same thing that happened to you.

Note: in the end, I was able to replicate the video lesson without any if...then... scripts in the buttons.

Coffee16

I relooked at the project and I cant tell what is going on the properties for the tab buttons look fine and they all have a background. I will try again to do the project from scratch and this time I will take a video to document what is going on.

cavenewt
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by cavenewt » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:54 am

My buttons did the same thing. But when I re-watched that part of the video, Elanor's did too (at 2:55 from the end). We will probably fix the button visuals in a later lesson, likely by assigning a graphic to each button.

fredotechGA2742

Post by fredotechGA2742 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:49 pm

cavenewt wrote:My buttons did the same thing. But when I re-watched that part of the video, Elanor's did too (at 2:55 from the end). We will probably fix the button visuals in a later lesson, likely by assigning a graphic to each button.
Just re-watched it and you are right. ok Feel much better.

Return to “Summer School 2013”