Resolution Independence in LiveCode

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Coffee1633
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Resolution Independence in LiveCode

Post by Coffee1633 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:41 am

This feature is one that I hope I don't have too high expectations for - but I do.

A friend of mine is an Java programmer and he makes apps for android devices. And he has had his fair share of headaches with screen densities. It seems to be getting out of control, even with just iOS devices, 3.5", 4", retina, non retina, iPad regular, mini. It makes my head spin. And Android is way out of control.

I see that it is on the syllabus for next lesson. I am sketching out some wire frames for my own app idea and I'm getting a little curious as to how LC handles all the resizing. I have seen some resizing code tricks in the game academy lessons and on the forums but I am wondering if there is going to be something new introduced from the kickstarter campaign funding. And if it is, is it in the current version that we have cause according to the roadmap that I saw recently, there are a whole bunch of goodies coming out at the end of this month.

The reason this comes to mind is that during lesson 1 when Elenor was choosing the screen size from MObGUI, I was thinking that in the end I want the app to port to all iPhone sizes and resolutions and not just one. Of course I have to pick a size to design from, but which size is best to use as a base from which to resize from?

Sorry to be impatient.
Does anyone have any inside information about new resolution independence techniques and is willing to share? The next lesson is a long way off.

Coffee16

MarcVanCauwenberghe

Re: Resolution Independence in LiveCode

Post by MarcVanCauwenberghe » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:13 am

Hi Coffee,

I just asked a question related to resolutions in the forum, maybe that could be of interrest to you.
In the latest newsletter (153) http://livecode.com/community/newsletters/ there is a report about the teams progress. It says that first tests of 'Resolution independence' will be done at the end of this month so we will not have to wait long.

Best regards,
Marc

Return to “Summer School 2013”